Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2006 12:03:36 PM EDT
If I buy a SBS, once I have recieved the paper, can I make it as short as I want?

For example, I buy a 14" Rem 870. Submit the correct forms. get the approval. Can I then strip the barrel and stuff a 10" barrel on it?

May seem stupid but I can find the answer anywhere.

Thanks!
CH
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I buy a SBS, once I have recieved the paper, can I make it as short as I want?

For example, I buy a 14" Rem 870. Submit the correct forms. get the approval. Can I then strip the barrel and stuff a 10" barrel on it?

It's the same as with SBRs: You should notify BATF of the change, but there is no legal requirement to obtain their permission beforehand.

So with your example, if you decide to shorten your 14" barrel to a 10" barrel, or sell your 14" barrel and replace it with a 10" barrel, you should send BATF/WVa. a letter saying you are the registered owner of SBS SN12345 and that the configuration has been permanently changed to a 10" barrel with an overall length of XX".

If you decide to buy an additional 10" barrel but keep the 14" barrel and use either one whenever you want, you should send BATF a letter saying you are the registered owner of SBS SN12345 and that in addition to the 14" barrel and XX" overall length, it will also be used on occasion with a 10" barrel and corresponding XX" length.

Thanks Tony. What I thought. Just needed verifying.

CH
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's the same as with SBRs: You should notify BATF of the change, but there is no legal requirement to obtain their permission beforehand.

So with your example, if you decide to shorten your 14" barrel to a 10" barrel, or sell your 14" barrel and replace it with a 10" barrel, you should send BATF/WVa. a letter saying you are the registered owner of SBS SN12345 and that the configuration has been permanently changed to a 10" barrel with an overall length of XX".

If you decide to buy an additional 10" barrel but keep the 14" barrel and use either one whenever you want, you should send BATF a letter saying you are the registered owner of SBS SN12345 and that in addition to the 14" barrel and XX" overall length, it will also be used on occasion with a 10" barrel and corresponding XX" length.

That's way too much communication for NFA Branch. While they'l tell you they appreciate that type of correspondance, it goes unacted upon.  They aren't interested in knowing that you interchange barrel lengths periodically. They want to know such things only when it's at least a semi-permanent length change, like what you would do to an HK or FN or other type of weapon that does not interchange barrels easily.  Then they'll revise the registry because it's likely going to stay that length for a long time. ARs, shotguns, etc, they simply assume that you'll be swapping lengths a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top