Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2007 7:47:07 AM EDT
I have posted in the past that I won a free AAC SCARAB in a photo contest on ST. I asked AAC if they would instead give me an upgrade from my 2006 762-SD to a 2007, as I liked how much lighter it was. They said ok. I should have asked my dealer to swap my can with a 2007 from inventory as my form-4 was not even processed yet. Instead I asked them to have AAC rebuild it which lead to a 10 week delay. I got frustrated with this delay and cancelled my order -- all without realizing that I could have just asked my dealer to swap my can rather than ‘rebuild’ it. I regret bringing that up online.

My dealer(PSI) and AAC wanted to meet with me to go over how to best serve customers like myself, and I have never been so impressed with a company as I was this Sunday. I am a very small customer in the grand scheme of things, but that didn’t prevent a delegation from PSI and AAC from moving plans with their families this holiday season to come down to my farm and go shooting.

Kevin, owner of AAC, seemed to be very interested about my concerns regarding the silencer to be used on my rifle. Kevin also offered to let me test fire an AAC can alongside my Surefire before I make a final decision as to what is best for my needs, and that he would buy whichever one I decide against. We extensively discussed different options and design ideas from not only AAC, but from other companies as well.

The responsiveness that was shown to me by PSI and AAC I have never experienced in any purchase I have ever made. This includes buying a house, car, engagement ring, electronics …anything. PSI without a doubt just wants to get their customers exactly what they want. They understand that customers are spending a significant amount of money for something that they will own permanently and want every customer they have to be completely satisfied with their purchase. AAC wants nothing more than to build the very best silencers ever. As a former Airborne grunt I appreciate a company that is concerned about it’s products and is willing to make changes to further their innovation without just sitting on their laurels.

I am looking forward to the arrival of a Surefire can as well as seeing what it can do against what AAC will send.  I will choose whichever can I feel performs the best on my gun, and if that can isn’t an AAC can then so be it, at least they gave it a hell of a shot. In the end I am like most (not all) shooters in our community and just want to buy the product that best fits my application. I don’t have ridiculous company “loyalties” and prefer to stay the hell out of the many heated discussions that companies have with each other for whatever reasons.

I will update this post as more information comes in and I hope to have an honest technical evaluation of high end silencers available for precision rifles. I will post what I think of each of the silencers that I test and won’t sugar coat any of the evaluations. I will look at only single point mounted silencers with a fast attach mechanism. The following silencers are the ones under consideration:

Surefire FA7.62K
AAC 300-SD
AAC 7.62-SD

I believe that this will provide some good information for those interested in this type of silencer. Thanks for reading my babble and hopefully you’ll get some good information out of this thread. To be continued………………
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm glad to hear it. Make sure and keep us updated.

IB all the AAC haters getting here to post their stories
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'll tag this one and ask the same question I did over there...

What are the details on the 300-SD? length, weight, price, calibers its rated for, etc

I don't have all the details. I do know that it is their .300WM rated can.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Based on your previous posts it seems like the high quality customer service from PSI is business as usual. AAC on the other hand seemed content to string you, and others, along until you said something publicly. Sometimes things fall through the cracks and details are over looked but there is a long history from AAC of slow production and terrible customer service...until the problems are made public.

It is commendable that AAC is now going the extra mile but why can't they go the extra mile before it becomes this huge public drama?

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#5]
When I bought my Evo 45 for my USP Tactical, the can was shipped with the booster piston for a SOCOM pistol (right hand threads, where the Tac has left hand threads).

AAC immediately Fed Ex'd me the correct booster piston and included a return shipper for the SOCOM piece. They made it right before I even had a chance to go to the range.

No complaints about AAC from me....
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#6]
PSI is beyond reproach.

You can not expect to get better customer service/support with any other suppressor dealer.

When I got my M42K I was concerned that I would mess up the paperwork somehow and that the whole process would be insanely complicated.

With PSI, all you do is show up with $$ and an idea of what you want, they will point you in the right direction, give clear expectations and keep you informed of the progress.

PSI rocks!  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Based on your previous posts it seems like the high quality customer service from PSI is business as usual. AAC on the other hand seemed content to string you, and others, along until you said something publicly. Sometimes things fall through the cracks and details are over looked but there is a long history from AAC of slow production and terrible customer service...until the problems are made public.

It is commendable that AAC is now going the extra mile but why can't they go the extra mile before it becomes this huge public drama?

Did you read any of the comments on the other site? According to both AAC and Mark from PSI, it was a misunderstanding based on a miscommunication between all parties involved. Seems to me both AAC and PSI stepped up to the plate to figure stuff out. Mark even took blame upon himself once all of the pieces came to light. I fail to see how that singles out PSI for exaltation while condemning AAC to the depths. I like how newmangi comes out to keep everybody informed and give an unbiased resolution and you immediately try and single AAC out as the sole cause of his problems in the past. Can you let one thread go by or do you have to spout your poison from the very get go?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When I bought my Evo 45 for my USP Tactical, the can was shipped with the booster piston for a SOCOM pistol (right hand threads, where the Tac has left hand threads).

AAC immediately Fed Ex'd me the correct booster piston and included a return shipper for the SOCOM piece. They made it right before I even had a chance to go to the range.

LOL, Joe from SWR did that with my HEMS2 and let me keep the extra one.

But still that's pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Bullshit.

I have it on good authority that AAC is nothing but a bunch of rude, arrogant thieves who make shitty suppressors and take pleasure in hurting newborn puppies.

I wish I was near PSI.  They rock.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#10]
PSI seriously rocks.

Oh, and you should've gone with the SCAR-H SD
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm glad to hear it. Make sure and keep us updated.

IB all the AAC haters getting here to post their stories

Well the first punch goes to the AAC fans it seems.  At least you disguised it as an innocent observation of all of us "bad guys" out there.

Mark seems to be the best dealer ever and one I sure wish I had nearby not only so I could hear one of everything but so that I could do business with him as well.  Unfortunately he's nowhere near me...

Ian is right, AAC has gone out of their way to fix a problem in a few instances but it usually seems like it's almost a day late and about 30 cents short...  Some instances months late and many dollars short.  I remember Shivan's problem for instance.  They sure did take care of him and he's very happy now.  I personally would rather just be happy from the beginning and not have to "go after" someone to get things done.

In case some of you didn't know, newnangi's can came up in another thread here (I'm not going to say where and I hope noone else does) and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the impetus for a meeting between the parties involved.

Like I said, Mark seems to be the perfect dealer.  He was involved in that thread and I'd be willing to bet the $205 sitting in my Paypal account () that that's where this meeting idea started- not that it's a bad thing but it goes to show- things don't get fixed on their own.  It takes some serious effort on a non-AAC employee to get it done.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Mark, let me know when you want to shoot some skeet.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I would like to point out that Kevin originally agreed to upgrade the '06 model can newnangi was buying (but had NOT yet transferred) from us instead of taking the Scarab newnangi had won in the picture contest.  

The whole thing was nothing more than misunderstanding in communication.  No one, including me and Allen, had a clue newnangi was getting bothered by the upgrade time (which was a little more than two months).  

So, right out of the gate AAC was trying to do something extra for a customer.  It wasn't until newnangi posted on-line that he was unhappy that AAC or PSI knew about the customer's feelings.  Kevin wasn't going to see the customer as a result of the on-line postings.  I can tell you that was not his motivation.  I can also tell you Kevin had personal plans with his family and felt his time was better spent with a customer talking about issues that were important to the customer for his specific application.

Just wanted to point that out here.

Mark

I applaud Kevin for dropping his plans to ensure his business stays running strong.  Hopefully he found out exactly how or why people take their problems to the internet when they run into them.  I would imagine Kevin tried to find out if newnangi tried contacting them, how he'd tried, etc.  All of those things would be important for someone like Kevin.  

They've really dropped the ball in that department in the past so it's nice to hear that someone is trying to do something about it now.  

Maybe if I hear a few horror stories of suppressors arriving crooked or with off center holes and how it only took a single phone call and a few weeks turnaround time for a new one I will consider buying one some day.  That sure would make it easier on a lot of people on both sides of the fence.  

I do understand why it sucks for AAC and isn't quite fair that the first they hear about him being unhappy is when he posts on the internet or someone reposts his situation but then again, the problem he was having was a huge problem that sucked total ass.  I don't want to know the amount of money invested into the rifle and the amount of time and money invested in training to shoot like that and then to have all of that just disappear...  Shouldn't have happened in the first place.  Customers are quality control at this moment.  That needs to change too.  Maybe that will be the next step?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 2:50:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The extra was of no use to me. Not sure how keeping it would have been better.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 3:30:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The extra was of no use to me. Not sure how keeping it would have been better.

Well, there you go then.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:41:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
PSI is beyond reproach.

You can not expect to get better customer service/support with any other suppressor dealer.

When I got my M42K I was concerned that I would mess up the paperwork somehow and that the whole process would be insanely complicated.

With PSI, all you do is show up with $$ and an idea of what you want, they will point you in the right direction, give clear expectations and keep you informed of the progress.

PSI rocks!  

i couldn't agree more- all my C3 toys will be through those guys...  i won't even bother looking elsewhere for a better deal- their service and time is worth any extra cost...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:09:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We (PSI) met newnangi at a range a few weeks ago to try some '07 model cans and they worked very well and newnangi was happy.  Nevertheless, he finally decided to give the SureFire can a try because he believed the mount would stay tighter and it is a light-weight can.

You don't really know until you try a complete system, of which the silencer in only one part.

Mark

This is the bottom line, I just wanted to try out something different for my system. Now, I have the chance to test everything that I was considering all at the same time, and I'm only obligated to keep what works best. Win/Win for me.

Hindsight is 20/20, and I see now that EVERYTHING else involved was a simple misunderstanding that was blown out of proportion. Everyone involved is more interested in moving forward in a positive direction than rehashing what happened.

Stay tuned for more info as it becomes available.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#26]
so can we see the famous winning picture ?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
so can we see the famous winning picture ?

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top