Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2015 10:50:44 PM EDT
Siliencershop has the AAC Illusion in 9mm:

http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/pistol/aac-illusion-9.html

Price is 676.  

Based on this: Build Material 17-4 Stainless Steel, 6061 T6 Aluminum, 7075 T6 Aluminum
I'd assume the baffles are aluminum, though its not listed what they are.  

http://www.advanced-armament.com/ILLUSION-9_p_692.html  
This talks about a stainless steel blast baffel, so I assume the rest are Al.

Couple of ounces heavier than the Ti-Rant, and about the same length for 9mm.

It seems like a Ti-rant, with the eccentric bore aspect to have it sit lower on the axis and thus be able to use factory sights.  At 33 db sound reduction compared to 35-38 listed for the Ti-Rant, thought it's longer, it seems the off bore aspect reduces availible can volume and thus supression.

It's an interesting can.  I just picked up a Ti-rant 9, so I'm pretty set for this nitche, but for first time buyers, who don't have a 9mm can and just want to be able to use factory sights, it's a good option.

Oh I should know better.  I'll but it just becuase ever NFA stamp I get makes little Eric Holder cry.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Yikes
Glad I've got a $349 Ti-rant pending right now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yikes
View Quote

Same here.  I just don't feel the need to purchase a louder 9mm can at 2x the price.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Sent for my second Tirant9 last week. I already have all pistons and a triad mount for all my guns so it was a natural choice.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#4]
The Ti-Rant is a great can, which is why I have 3 - the 45, the 9, and the 9s.

Still, I'm curious about this Illusion model, as it would be nice to be able to use standard sights.

I know all about the "shoot through the can" method, and don't have good success with it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not convinced standard sights will be unobscured...
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, that's what I'd like to know more about.

The Osprey is supposed to do this, and on my Glock and HK USP, it still covered up the sights.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not convinced standard sights will be unobscured...
View Quote

I fired one last weekend on a 19 and it blocked about half to 2/3 of the sights. I think they were factory night sights but I didn't pay close attention to that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yikes
View Quote

I just paid $625.00

Had no idea they were discounted at end of '14. Can't believe they discontinued them. Had to bite the bullet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, that's what I'd like to know more about.

The Osprey is supposed to do this, and on my Glock and HK USP, it still covered up the sights.
View Quote

With Triji HD's, the sights are level with the top of the can making aiming MUCH easier than with other cans.  Surefire Ryder 9 Ti looks promising in this regard, I'd skip freedom group's illusion.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I maintain that this was a completely boneheaded move by AAC. Why would you introduce a louder, heavier silencer? The massive sales of existing round silencers mean that the public doesn't really give a shit about obscured sights. So you're scrificing weight and performance for a relatively modest improvement in aiming.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I maintain that this was a completely boneheaded move by AAC. Why would you introduce a louder, heavier silencer? The massive sales of existing round silencers mean that the public doesn't really give a shit about obscured sights. So you're scrificing weight and performance for a relatively modest improvement in aiming.
View Quote

Well said.
I'd be interested in knowing what portion of people use pistol cans on carbines. This almost pushes AAC out of the market for 9mm ARs, the new CZ subgun, vector, etc.
Maybe I'm over exaggerating.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#12]
s
Quoted:

Well said.
I'd be interested in knowing what portion of people use pistol cans on carbines. This almost pushes AAC out of the market for 9mm ARs, the new CZ subgun, vector, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said.

Judging by ARFCOMers you'd think everyone and their brother shot 9mm ARs, I however have less than 0 interest in a pistol caliber AR, absolutely pointless in my mind.  While I like the eccentric design, this can's biggest pitfall is that the Osprey is still the quietest pistol can with less maintenance while achieving the same objective as a better sight picture.  Surefire Ryder 9 Ti accomplishes the same thing as well and should be hitting dealers very soon....  Not to mention the fact I wouldn't touch anything made by Freedom Group with a 40 foot pole.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1  They took a step back IMO.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#14]
They will sell and they will sell lots. Im sure aac has a new smg suppressor coming to market too. And for those of you that "have no desire" for a PCC.....your missing out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They will sell and they will sell lots. Im sure aac has a new smg suppressor coming to market too. And for those of you that "have no desire" for a PCC.....your missing out.
View Quote

Yes us nonPCC guys sre missing out on a gun with all the weight of a rifle and all the power of a pistol. The worst of both worlds.

I played with the illusion at SHOT, its similar to the osprey. Sights are less obscured than a tegular can but still not anywhere close to a clear sight picture. Pass.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes us nonPCC guys sre missing out on a gun with all the weight of a rifle and all the power of a pistol. The worst of both worlds.

I played with the illusion at SHOT, its similar to the osprey. Sights are less obscured than a tegular can but still not anywhere close to a clear sight picture. Pass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find the excellent ergonomics of a short barreled AR, the quietness of a suppressed 22lr, and more than enough oomph down range to dispatch critters or give a good thwack on a target.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, PCC owners don't have any fun...
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes us nonPCC guys sre missing out on a gun with all the weight of a rifle and all the power of a pistol. The worst of both
View Quote

More like the accuracy and controllability of a rifle and the sound suppression of a pistol.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top