Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2003 9:28:15 AM EDT
I've got a Greek S.A. SAR-8 that was manufactured in July, 1994.  Since this is before the 94 AWB, I assume I am free to put the A3 collapsible stock on it?  Just checking, as the laws make about as much sense as Michael Moore's movies.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope. Since it's a Greek import it's post the 1989 Import AWB. It would have been shipped without a flash hider and with a thumbhole stock.

In order to get around the 89 ban AND the 94 ban, it would have had to have been in an AW configuration, done with enough US parts to make it a US gun rather than an import (don't know the parts count for an HK91 style rifle), prior to 9/94.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nope. Since it's a Greek import it's post the 1989 Import AWB. It would have been shipped without a flash hider and with a thumbhole stock.

In order to get around the 89 ban AND the 94 ban, it would have had to have been in an AW configuration, done with enough US parts to make it a US gun rather than an import (don't know the parts count for an HK91 style rifle), prior to 9/94.

If the '94 AWB expires, then would he be free to put the normal flash hider and collapsible stock without the required USA parts count?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If the '94 AWB expires, then would he be free to put the normal flash hider and collapsible stock without the required USA parts count?

No, because the part count issue is a function of the 89 import ban, not the 94 ban. If the AWB expires, the rifle could only get the evil features back if it had the correct, US-made, parts count.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Warlord,

I've done some additional research, and DavidC's answers should be "It depends" instead of "No."

* RE the 94 ban, as long as the rifle was in an AW configuration prior to 9/14/94, it is a legal preban, and may possess any legal evil parts provided the conditions of the 89 ban are maintained.  So the rifle needed to possess a bayo lug, threaded barrel, or flash hider on 9/13/94.

* RE the 89 ban, so long as any replacement or additional parts are of U.S. manufacture, they are completely legal, assuming they are not banned because of the 94 law.

This is my understanding. YUMV (Your Understanding May Vary)
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#5]
The "No" may sound a bit severe, but its based on the fact that I don't believe that there were sufficient US-made parts prior to the 94 ban available for the HK91 to qualify it as a US made gun, which would have been necessary to do prior to adding evil features like a flash hider or folding stock.

Just slapping on a flash hider prior to 94 would not have qualified it as a legal preban.

There are a few grey area rifles from Springfield that would not have required the US parts, but could have been converted using foreign parts. These rifles are easily identified by the fact that they are marked SAR-3 and overstamped with the "8". They are the rifles that were caught in customs by the 89 ban.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The "No" may sound a bit severe, but its based on the fact that I don't believe that there were sufficient US-made parts prior to the 94 ban available for the HK91 to qualify it as a US made gun, which would have been necessary to do prior to adding evil features like a flash hider or folding stock.

Just slapping on a flash hider prior to 94 would not have qualified it as a legal preban.

There are a few grey area rifles from Springfield that would not have required the US parts, but could have been converted using foreign parts. These rifles are easily identified by the fact that they are marked SAR-3 and overstamped with the "8". They are the rifles that were caught in customs by the 89 ban.

I believe you are probably right. The SAR3 was the HK91-type clone in every respect from Springfield before GWB Sr. and Bill Bennet banned them from import. However, Springfield  offered accuracy kits(flashider and pistol grip) for customer installation to convert to HK91 configuration. And all you had to do was unscrew the stub for the flash hider and attach the pistol grip. Of course that was before BATF required them to spot-weld the flash-hider stub on to the barrel; AND even after that, Springfield would tell you how to break the spot-weld to attach the flashider. I know because I called them up on the telephone on this subject. BUT why bother, it shoots real good with or without the pistol grip & flash hider, just that it looks weird.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top