Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2002 5:01:38 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me what distances the 0-2 and the smaller aperture should be used for with a 16" barrel? Using the 0-2 aperture at 100 yards, I am all over the target...but when I flip to the smaller aperture, I shoot well within the 10 ring. I thought the 0-2 aperture was to be zeroed for 100 yards, and the smaller aperture was for 300-500 yards. However, if that was the case...shouldn't my POI be lower using the small aperture @ 100 yards? Please help a newbie.

Thanks to everyone,
Mickey
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
in general, the larger aperture is used in closer combat.  All over the paper at 100 yards might be all over a badguy.  It's resonably accurate inside of 200 yards, but ain't all that good for target work.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 5:30:35 AM EDT
[#2]
The 0-2 marked larger aperature is designed to be used for distances from zero meters out to 200m. But when you use the 0-2 sight aperature, make sure the elevation knob is set all the way DOWN. In other words make sure your elevation is set at the 8/3 mark on the knob. The smaller sight is used for  300m to 800m distances and for battlesight zero also. I think you are having a sight alignment or sight picture problem using the larger apereturem as oppopsed to the smaller one. Practice your SA/SP anywhere by setting up mini sized targets to represent different distances, and I guarantee your groups will get better, basically you are just aiming at the smaller targets, dry firing, to give you a better SA/SP for when you actually shoot. You should set them up about 20-30 feet away for best results. The larger aperature was also designed to be easier for target aquisition at close quarters, but it is also military standard for distances to 200 meters.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you very much for clearing this up for me. After I posted the question, I read another site that said, "when using the 0-2 aperture, the grouping will be within a 9" radius". That is consistent with what I experienced on Sunday and what you gentlemen have said. Thanks Matt and oneshot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top