Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2005 8:40:22 PM EDT
can anyone tell me what is/was the story and out come of the 9th circut court thing about self manf. m.g.'s?   i have only heard parts, and would really like to know whats going on.  thanks aza
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I think there was a ruling in another case that kills our Stewart hopes.  It was a case against home grown marajuana.   That case tried to claim that growing your own dope didn"t affect interstate commerce.   The courts ruled that it did.

Therefore, making your own home made mg affects interstate commerce.

Something like that.   I'm not a lawyer, and I didn't stay at a holiday Inn Express last hight either...
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Jeff nailed it. Pot heads ruined it for us
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
is there a link i could get?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The only difference is that weed isnt legal in any state and has a tendency to be packaged sold and ran across state lines to sell illegally. Large growth amounts usually make it out of state as a rule. I think steward still has a good case if it goes to the supreme court.  

At least machine guns have a registration process in place.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:44:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't find the post here on the board, but shortly after the decision in Gonzales v. Raich (the marijuana case) it was the 9th circuit that took the Stewart case and referred to the Gonzales v. Raich decision, i.e. that Stewart was basically null and void.  

The commerce clause and its interpretation are what most of the federal gun control laws are built on top of.  Its loose interpretation by all branches of government are obviously causing problems.  Who knew that a case on medical marijuana would have an affect on building new MGs?  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's the story:

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away called the 9th Circuit, some good and noble judges said it was OK to make a machinegun to fight dragons with.  However, the evil Supremes, who wear dark black robes to match their dark black hearts, overruled the good and noble judges of the 9th Circuit and returned the people of the 9th Circuit to bondage and slavery.  The End.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:20:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Here's the story:

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away called the 9th Circuit, some good and noble judges said it was OK to make a machinegun to fight dragons with.  However, the evil Supremes, who wear dark black robes to match their dark black hearts, overruled the good and noble judges of the 9th Circuit and returned the people of the 9th Circuit to bondage and slavery.  The End.

Wow.  That IS an odd story.  I saw the phrases "good and noble judges" used to describe the 9th circuit.  Even with them almost letting us get away with new MGs, I don't think that would redeem them to the status of good and noble.  Now if they totally trashed the NFA on the other hand...

-Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top