Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2013 7:17:47 PM EDT
I ordered a LE Wilson pistol "max" gage.  I now see that dillon sales a "min" case gage.

the rounds I will goin through a glock and m9...what 9mm case gage do you have

did  order the wrong thing?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Good news, I think either one will work to ensure 9mm case is within specifications.  For $17 or so, you're not out too much, or you can send back.

Bad news, you probably don't need a case gage in 9mm.  Several ways to test pistol cases for correct sizing, load a few and drop loaded rounds in chamber see if they go flush with the upper part of chamber.  Or load a few and test fire if you can.  You can also try loading  a few dummies w/o powder charge and try to cycle them by hand to see if they chamber.

As long as you are following die set instructions and size them correctly, you should be fine.  What will affect function more than case sizing is the OAL, and ensuring bullets are seated to a correct depth.  Loading manual data on OAL for the bullet type in use can help with that.  

Then making sure you have a good taper crimp to remove the bell and hold the bullet, but leaving that case edge around the bullet for a proper seat in the chamber.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:37:23 AM EDT
[#2]
You bought the right one.
I just copied this from the Midway website about that gage:
Technical Information
Notes:
If your cartridge will fit into the gage, it should fit in any firearm chambered to SAAMI specifications for this specific cartridge.

You're GTG.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks

I should have worded the thread better.  I didnt know if i should be loading the round at a "min" length or closer to the "max"

Then after I noticed the max label on it, i thought i screwed up!

Thanks for the help gents
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
"Max" gauge is what I use for 9mm. Contrary to other people, I case gauge every round that I make, regardless of the caliber. Even on the 9mm, I routinely come across a few that would not fit the case gauge.

GlockMonk
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I might do that if I was a competitive shooter or if my life depended upon reloaded ammo.  In my case my life depends upon good quality proven factory ammo.  

At the range have not had a feed problem with any 9mm reloads in the Glocks since I can remember.   I seat bullets to recommend OAL (+- a few 1000s) for the type of bullet in question.  

Thus I only use a case gage for rilfe reloading.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:56:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I only gage for S&W 625 revolver in .45acp - this is a must as about 20% won't enter far enough and cylinder drags. Never a problem with .45 acp in ANY 1911. No problem in 9mm Sigs, M&P.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#7]
That certainly is true, great point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top