Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2007 7:03:31 AM EDT
I would think a bullpup 9mm carbine would be a good seller.  As short as a submachinegun/SBR without the $200 tax.  If it took commonly available mags (Glock, Beretta, etc).  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Beretta Storm is pretty close to a bullpup design.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

the mag goes into the Pistol grip ALA mac 10, uzi, keltec sub200, hi-point carbine ect.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The Steyr AUG can be converted to shoot 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The Steyr AUG can be converted to shoot 9mm.

Really?!  Got any more info on that?  Can you do it yourself, or is that an arsenal conversion?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#5]
you can do it your self it will just require a significant investment of dinero but you will be able to switch back and forth between 5.56 and 9 rather easily, would be cool if one of the new aug guys build a 9mm conversion kit too
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The Steyr AUG has a 9mm conversion kit.

This is an exploded diagram of the 9mm Bolt system.

Exploded diagram of the magazine insert; the insert is designed to take the magazines from the Steyr MPi-69 SMG.

Picture of the magazine insert with a Steyr MPi-69 magazine.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing cheap. I suppose a strecthed MAC could be done by a home gunsmith easy enough. Being all sheet steel a person with access to a break press and shear, Mill,tig,mig,brazing outfit could probably do one.

There may be off the shelf square tubing with an I.D. that would work with a MAC 11 bolt avilable to make the upper. You'd have to strect the standard trigger bar, Probably use a Sten magwell. MAC parts are cheap enough to give it a try.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree the mac deal would be the DIY way to go.Check your OA length though as I believe it needs to be 26" or more.That may require more than a 16"  bbl. I guess 16" with extension would work and also supress flash.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#9]
A marlin camp carbine with a bullpup stock would work well.  It uses Smith Wesson 6906 mags and you can pick one up for 300-400 and a stock for 100-150.

Mike

Here's a gun broker auction with pic (not mine)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=78232378
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the mag goes into the Pistol grip ALA mac 10, uzi, keltec sub200, hi-point carbine ect.

I know the mag goes into the grip, dip- $h!t!

Read my post again. I used the phrase "pretty close." I know it's not a bullpup, but in terms of overall length, it's "pretty close." There aren't very many (affordable) 9mm bullpup designs out there. My best suggestion for the OP's querry is the Storm.

Looks like you didn't come up with a suggestion...
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know the mag goes into the grip, dip- $h!t!

Read my post again. I used the phrase "pretty close." I know it's not a bullpup, but in terms of overall length, it's "pretty close." There aren't very many (affordable) 9mm bullpup designs out there. My best suggestion for the OP's querry is the Storm.

Looks like you didn't come up with a suggestion...

No I did not have a suggestion but I was also not going to suggest a firearm that is no where "close to" being a bullpup

And as far as the storm goes why pay $600+ for that when a Hi-point carbine  in an ATI stock Is basicly the same thing minus the high cap mags and will only run around $200 and just as reliable.

As for the name calling GROW UP
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Would't the storm be a semi-bullpup design?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Would't the storm be a semi-bullpup design?

Nope, it's a normal carbine. Nothing bullup about it.

Also I'd stay away from the muzzelite bullpup stock for the camp 9. It is flimsy and the trigger sux.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#14]
The trigger issue is what keeps me away from bullpups.
What led me to say the storm might be called a semi-bullpup design is that opposed to most rifle designs that have the action and magazine forward of the firing hand the storm moves all this back with the magazine in the firing hand and the breech of the barrel above the trigger finger.If you move all this behind the firing hand then you have a bullpup.So , even if the storm is not a bullpup design it does yield some of the benefits due to the compactness of a pistol action and a better trigger pull which is problematic in a bullpup due to the linkages involved.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I hear everyone complain about bullpup trigger pulls and I don't really see what the fuss is about as they really no less crisp than say a glock trigger.  I mean is a bullpup going to be as crisp as an AR national match? NO, but then again a glock trigger will never be as crisp as a 1911.  Unless you're looking for a Designated Marksman rifle to make long distance shots you don't really need a better trigger than is found on most bullpups.  

Besides I hear that keltec has solved the linkage problems with their RFB.  IF that is true than we'll probably see future bullpups with triggers equal to any normal config trigger.  Add forward ejection along with more rail space and you've taken away all the things people can find to complain about with the bullpup.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Add forward ejection along with more rail space and you've taken away all the things people can find to complain about with the bullpup.  

1: Mag changes not as fast as forward mag systems.

2: I highly doubt people will ever STOP complaining about bullpups (and I love mine).
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I wasn't complaining so much as I have always been a fan of bullpups.Just holding out for a good example.The fun shop by my house did have a converted ak that I got to handle.It felt good in the hand, balance was better than expected,and the length of pull that I thought would be an issue from other people's reports was just fine.I think the converted ak's probably have the worst trigger due to a wire linkage and I think I could get over the trigger issue and maybe fab a better link for myself.
Maybe kel-tec will have success with their 308 bullpup coming out and do a pistol cal version shortly after?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Add forward ejection along with more rail space and you've taken away all the things people can find to complain about with the bullpup.  

1: Mag changes not as fast as forward mag systems.

2: I highly doubt people will ever STOP complaining about bullpups (and I love mine).

They would be as fast with the mag changes if you had a mag release that could be closer to the pistol grip somehow and flared the magwell.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I hear everyone complain about bullpup trigger pulls and I don't really see what the fuss is about as they really no less crisp than say a glock trigger.  I mean is a bullpup going to be as crisp as an AR national match? NO, but then again a glock trigger will never be as crisp as a 1911.  Unless you're looking for a Designated Marksman rifle to make long distance shots you don't really need a better trigger than is found on most bullpups.  

Besides I hear that keltec has solved the linkage problems with their RFB.  IF that is true than we'll probably see future bullpups with triggers equal to any normal config trigger.  Add forward ejection along with more rail space and you've taken away all the things people can find to complain about with the bullpup.  

I wouldn't get my hopes up on the trigger, and I want the RFB.

Let's see:
Hk, Steyr, Enfield, FN, LAPA, Tenix, Noirinco, Valmet, IMI, TOZ, STK, and Bushmaster all tried too (and many claimed to have) solved the "linkage problems".
I am somewhat skeptical of Keltec having achieved where they have failed.
Will it be better than the average bullpup? Probably.
Will it be equivalent to a good AR/M14 trigger? I doubt it, and it sure will be harder to make as good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top