Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2003 2:49:39 PM EDT
Pulled this off the SAMMI webpage:
www.saami.org/unsafe3.htm

In Firearms Chambered For 9mm Luger(Parabellum)

Do Not Use These Cartridges
 9mm NATO (Military)
 40 Smith & Wesson
 9x18 Makarov
 9mm Winchester Magnum
 9x18 Makarov

Anyone ever heard of a 9mm Win. Magnum?
Also, make sure you don't shoot 9mm Nato (surplus) ammo in any firearms chambered for 9mm Luger! <sarcasm>

Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually I was under the impression that 9mm NATO WAS the Parabellum round.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard about it. It was suppose to be a campanion to the 45 Win Mag which is actually a lengthen 45ACP. I read that a Winchester made a run of cases, but never loaded any commercial ammo. AMT of Irwindale, Calif built one run of their gun, I forget the gun model though. It has paper ballistics that is supposed to be similiar to that of the M1 30 Carbine, which is probably why it failed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I think 9mm Winchester Magnum is also known as 9x23 Winchester.  Winchester still has a few loadings for it.  It propels a 124 grain bullet at 1460 fps.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#4]
It used a 9x29.5 mm case designed by Winchester for use in Wildey gas pistols. In other words, a flop.

Source
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe it was orginally developed for the Wildey, but I have never seen or heard reference that any of those guns were ever produced in 9mm Win Mag.  LAR chambered it in the Grizzly, but if you put a call into LAR, they will deny it.  However, the late Bob Milek, wrote an article for Guns and Ammmo magazine on the Grizzly chambered in 9mm Win Mag back in 1984.  Then AMT cracked out a few for they AutoMag III.

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
LAR chambered it in the Grizzly, but if you put a call into LAR, they will deny it.  However, the late Bob Milek, wrote an article for Guns and Ammmo magazine on the Grizzly chambered in 9mm Win Mag back in 1984.

OT: Just a little side note, I called LAR of Ohgen UTah, regarding their Grizzly a few years back and they said don't make'em anymore. I believe they lost a huge lawsuit where a killer used a 44 Rem Mag Grizzly to murder a family of 3, I think it was a boyfriend/girlfriend thing. Today LAR only builds their 50cal bolt action rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top