Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2007 10:00:59 PM EDT
I want to get eather a KelTec or a High point carbine in 9mm just for haveing fun maybe shooting a few rabbits nothing life or death.  So what one should i get or is there something else out there?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear good things about the HighPoint. If you can afford it the Beretta CX4 Storm is a top notch 9mm carbine 2nd to none!
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like the Kel-Tec's they can take G18 33 rounders and they fold up nicely for hiking.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 2:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with an OLY 9mm AR that uses Glock mags, counld be happier. I like it much better than the Storm I had.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 2:43:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Go for the Beretta CX4. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite long guns.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#5]
    My club runs a pistol cal carbine plate shoot so we see about everything that is out there.
     The High Points actually run pretty good but they are butt ugly and you only get one choice for stock shape and trigger. The triggers are pretty heavy and the gun either will fit you or it won't.
     I bought the kel tec just because it folded so cool . I had a hard time mashing my face tight enough to get a proper view of the sights . It ran well and was pretty accurate.
     I run an OLY 9mm upper and am very pleased with it.If I had to re-do it I would go Oly but opt for the glock setup with the flatop. I may dump my upper and do it anyway
     The RR upper is used by many at my club and the seem fine.
     By the tine you buy the mags and mag block setup I think one is better off spending for the glock setup in the Oly and being done with it .
     Folks that are left handed or shoot lefty because of eye dominance seem to like the storm and its ability to convert it to throw brass out to the left
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have owned both.  I kept the Kel-tec.  Hi cap mags. Handy folding ability. Shoots great.

I had no trouble with the high point.  But it's ugly as sin, and proprietary mags suck.

My "get home bag"

Link Posted: 11/19/2007 5:22:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm contemplating getting a carbine as well. Right now I'm torn between the Kel Tec and the Beretta.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#8]
A nice mid-level carbine is the Marlin Camp 9. Pre drilled for scope or red-dot, conventional single action trigger, high-quality, good looks and super PC. They take S&W 9mm mags.

I bought one at a Pawn shop for $200, but realistically you can get them for $300-$350.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I always liked the idea of the Ruger PC9.  I think it's J&G Sales has the PC4 in .40S&W for $419.  If those stick around for a little while I just may bite.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a CX4 Storm in 9mm retrofitted to use 92F magazines. I like it and it's a ball to shoot. I'm not sure what role it fills in the armory but I like it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I always liked the idea of the Ruger PC9.  

I had one of the early ghost ring versions.  I liked it overall but ended up selling it mainly because i didn't shoot it much.  It was a little heavier than it should have been.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
i had the same dilemma you are facing just earlier this year. I really wanted an hk mp5 clone, but the ridiculously high price was something i could not justify. i ended up looking at the calico m900. not alot of people own them, and im not sure why. they are light, handy, and innovative as shit. the way the magazine is designed and where it sits on the rifle makes for a very easy handling high firepower little rifle.  i ended up finding one at the fun show with two hundred round magazines for $450. one of the magazines needed repair, and i fixed it myself. the gun is seriously fun as hell, and one of my favorites right now. i would look into them if you get the chance to.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#13]
its a lil more pricey but my COLT 6450 9MM AR is a one of the funnest gun  to shoot    that i have.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I really enjoy my calico, it does take forever to load though, and the sights are a bit odd.  My kel-tec is also pretty good. The recoil is a bit snappy, but I still like it.

Berrettas are very pleasant shooters and if youve got the money theyre a pretty good little rifle.

I've never used the hi-point, always thought they were really ugly.

I'll probably end up with a couple 9mm ar's in the long run
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have a CX4 Storm in 9mm retrofitted to use 92F magazines. I like it and it's a ball to shoot. I'm not sure what role it fills in the armory but I like it.

Uhhh they are made to take 92 mags right out of the box.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#16]
[hijack]

Is there anyone, in the whole world, who will actually modify a Ruger PC9 so that it'll run with Glock mags?

Heard it can be done, but from what I can tell it looks to be mostly vaporware.  Anybody have any first-hand experience?

[/hijack]
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The type 92/96 came set up for the 92 mag. Mine is the PX4 version which came set up for PX4 mags. Conversion parts are available from the factory. (as he tries not to flame person who knows not what he speaks of)

Mag Chart w/conversion parts
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have owned both.  I kept the Kel-tec.  Hi cap mags. Handy folding ability. Shoots great.

I had no trouble with the high point.  But it's ugly as sin, and proprietary mags suck.

This is my opinion of each weapon as well.  The Kel-Tec wins in my book.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#19]
If you already own a Glock or 1911, here's another option:
Carbine Conversion Unit

I had one of the 1911 units at one time and found it to be extremely reliable and accurate.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The type 92/96 came set up for the 92 mag. Mine is the PX4 version which came set up for PX4 mags. Conversion parts are available from the factory. (as he tries not to flame person who knows not what he speaks of)

Mag Chart w/conversion parts

Oh yeah...forgot they made them in that version!
I was thinking you were some hack that did some "back yard" gun smithing to make them "fit better"!
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I think Ruger made a mistake by discontinuing the PC9, especially with ammo prices these days.   I had wanted one for a long time and found a barely used one at a gun show for $340.   Although it's not too tacticool in the looks department, it is a very innovative and well built rifle.   Actually it's quite shocking when you first take it apart thinking it's just an oversized 10/22.
I get 20 and 30rnd magazines of unknown manu. from the gunshow for $17ea. and they and the gun have been 100% reliable with whatever ammo I put in it.
I have a Wiegland rail and cheap red dot scope on mine and it is a very fast handling and accurate rifle.
If I didn't have this rifle, I would get the Beretta.   I didn't care for them at first but after being around them at our local Pistol caliber carbine matches they are growing on me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#22]
get an uzi.
reliable,not too expensive,and mags are still cheap....
best 9mm carbine on the market.
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#23]
RRA 9mm upper  
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
get an uzi.

We can't be trusted with Uzis here in the People's Republic of CT. We'd become crazed, mount bayonets on them and rob the nearest gas station, liquor store or bank.

Link Posted: 11/25/2007 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
get an uzi.

We can't be trusted with Uzis here in the People's Republic of CT. We'd become crazed, mount bayonets on them and rob the nearest gas station, liquor store or bank.

jeeez...thats too phunnie!
I own a Beretta CX4 Storm and I love it. It's the 9mm and I think it uses the 92 magazines. It fun, short, and holds lots of evil bullets! I'd love a 9MM upper for my AR but dont want to play the magwell adapter and the hard to find magazine game.
Just my 2 cents.
M4
ps....I'm gonna buy one of them there Hi Point carbines as soon as I can crap $185.00, for the price they're awesome!
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
[hijack]

Is there anyone, in the whole world, who will actually modify a Ruger PC9 so that it'll run with Glock mags?

Heard it can be done, but from what I can tell it looks to be mostly vaporware.  Anybody have any first-hand experience?

[/hijack]

Ken Christie Enterprises modifies the Ruger (and Marlin) carbines to accept Glock magazines.

Ken Christie Enterprises
7240 South Ridge
Madison, OH 44057
(216) 428-5551
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#27]
if only some one would modify the hi point to take hi cap mags it would be an excellent little rifle . better still hipoint should build a version that will take the higher cap mags
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#28]
+ 1 on Hi Point redesigning the rifle to take a high capacity magazine. I would have bought one long ago!
M4
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#29]
or i have seen drum mags made for the 1911 someone should make a drum mag of that style for the high point
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#30]
LOve the highpont, HATE the low cap mag 'issue'.

I have an aftermarket ATI stock on it which makes it look and handle JUST like the CX4. I used to have a CX4 storm and the hipoint has slightly more recoil and not quite as accurate.

However, I have an HK UMP now and can't stop shooting it. More accurate than the CX4 or the hipoint I had, higher cap mags (30rounds), feels like less recoil, and seems to be reliable. Unlike the CX4's buffer and recoil-rod issues and months' wait to get them replaced.

Sad part is, the HK UMP converted can be in the $2K area, CX4 9mm with a full loadout in the $700 range and the HiPoint with the body conversion in the $250 range.
I am keeping the Hipoint 9mm just for one of those 'WHAT IF' scenarios.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Keltec is the bomb! I like to go hiking with it, and mine works great with umc 250 round value packs!

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I really wish I'd have bought a Marlin Camp Carbine back when they seemed to be everywhere priced a dime-a-dozen. This summer I SBR'd one of my AR lowers and set it up with a CMMG 11.5" barrel. It is amazingly accurate but I've had a few reliability problems. However I believe I'm one step away from taking care of the last problem.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I really wish I'd have bought a Marlin Camp Carbine back when they seemed to be everywhere priced a dime-a-dozen. This summer I SBR'd one of my AR lowers and set it up with a CMMG 11.5" barrel. It is amazingly accurate but I've had a few reliability problems. However I believe I'm one step away from taking care of the last problem.

Reliability issues with the 9mm AR?  What upper/block/mags are you running?

I ran my RRA with a 16" RRA upper, then switched out the barrel for a 10.25" Model1sales, then had ADCO cut an RRA barrel down to 4".  I've never had a failure of any kind.  I'm running an H2 buffer and JARD 3# trigger/hammer

Sorry if a hijack.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:55:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reliability issues with the 9mm AR?  What upper/block/mags are you running?

I ran my RRA with a 16" RRA upper, then switched out the barrel for a 10.25" Model1sales, then had ADCO cut an RRA barrel down to 4".  I've never had a failure of any kind.  I'm running an H2 buffer and JARD 3# trigger/hammer

Sorry if a hijack.

I am using a Hahn dedicated mag well block, C Products mags, and a CMMG upper. The first problem I had was the magazines kept falling out about every round or so. It would still feed the next round before falling out. Thanks to another member here, I fixed that problem. However, now cases aren't being ejected properly but another fellow Arfcommer has advised me how to fix that although I haven't had the chance to try it. Basically the ejector needs to be tweaked to get it to push the cases in the right direction.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a Kel-Tec for a while.  Using Glock mags is great.  Accuracy was decent.  However, the overall build quality, especially the small parts, was awful.  Also, it wasn't all that fun to shoot.  I sold it with zero regrets.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Is Ken Christie still doing these?  I contacted the guy who did these in the past and he said he was retired, unsure if its the same guy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#37]
The guy you are talking about moved to Florida.  And I believe it is Ken Christie.  I was mistaken thinking it was Christie and Christie Enterprises, but they do the 10/22 stock.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:36:53 AM EDT
[#38]
UZI.  Cheap mags - built like  a tank - holds value, and a fast/cheap conversion to SBR.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Actually they are made to take the 92, 96, and 8000 series magazines with some modification and taking into consideration calibers 9 vs 40 vs 45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top