Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/1/2002 9:16:46 AM EST
Is there a way to build a colt (drop in mag well adaptor) type 9mm without having to change hammers? I have seen the Oly, but having to modify the mag to work seems to run into some legalities,( and oly wants $65 a pop for thier legal preban mags) and using a SOCOM block will destroy your ar15 mag change muscle memory. So am I dreaming or is this possible? If any of you have done it, list the parts and maker that you used, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:22:23 AM EST
I bought an Oly 9mm upper from ILove2Shoot at the BRC and I just slapped it on my Colt lower, popped in the mag block and it runs like a dream. It uses sten mags, and out of the 30 that I have I've only found 2 that had to be purged for erratic feeding.

Are you absolutely against sten mags?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:45:58 AM EST

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:12:26 PM EST
Not against the sten mags, but that you have to use a mag block, which is reloaded in a different manner than standard. Like I said, something that will allow mag changes like an AR mag, but does not require a hammer change. somebody should make it, it seems to be a natural market that solves the problems of both the Oly and Colt systems.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:23:33 PM EST
It can be done...

You would have to lock the block in in a different manner (roll pins or bolted above and below the mag release)...

Then design a "toggle" asembly into the mag block that would upon release of the std AR15 mag release pull back from the Sten Mag rear slot to allow the mag to fall...

Of course then this is the item that would also catch the mag when it is inserted...

It will take a bit of design work... but there is the general concept...

Yours for the sum of just a couple of Sten mags in working condition... (or a gooddeal on the mag-block you design and build from this concept)

Ted...
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:09:09 PM EST
Shame you need it to function exactly like the stock AR mag release... The one I have is different, but it is an incredibly simple design that works well.

You said you wanted a 'drop in' mag well adapter, as in you want something that will convert a regular .223 lower into a 9mm whenever you want with no modification? Since you'd like to use the mag release button for it's original purpose (and most conversions use the release to hold the mag block in place), how could it be a drop-in part? It would have to be pinned somehow so the whole assembly wouldn't fall out when you changed mags. This keeps it from being a simple drop in conversion...

I'm sure it could be done, but a lot of conversions have been created and if it were cost-effective to do I'm sure it would already be out there.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 4:34:22 PM EST
You do know you just need to change the hammer once and then it works with both 9mm and 5.56, right? Not flaming here, just making sure you don't think you need to change each time you change uppers. I agree with you 100% about mag changes and the hammer swap is no big deal.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:46:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:56:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By ILove2Shoot:

Gunbert: I am glad you are enjoying your (MY) 9mm upper. I thought it was supposed to be for a certain female that was by your side when you bought it?!?!?!? I do miss that upper, especially during a subgun Match I was just in....but I wont even go into that...I dont regret selling it....I will regret it even less when the Beowolf upper gets here. What type of Optic did you put on it? Shoot me an email sometime....

Yeah... It's technically hers, but I like to shoot more than she does! It's got about 1500 rounds through it since I bought it, and I just bought the A3 carry handle for it so I could mount my Reflex II. I just sighted them both in two days ago, and I'll post pics if I ever get a digital camera.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:49:17 AM EST
So the 9mm hammer works with both 9 and 223? I was not aware of that. that makes life a lot easier, and makes more options available. I could have a mag block and use an oly upper, or I could have a drop in adapter and use colt, rock river etc. Sten mags are cheap, but Uzi mags are still available and can be converted to function in both weapons. Thanks for the info, I have never felt the need for nomex underwear, questions need to be answered and you gentlemen always have the answers. thanks to all.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:00:50 AM EST
FYI-

Sten mags are wider then the standard 'colt' type mags. So a one piece drop in mag block wouldn't work. I've done some measuring on 10 Sten mags, my one piece ASA 'Colt' type mag block. No go.

I've thought of adapting a two piece Colt mag well adapter, but I don't really want to spend the money on one just to chew it up (yet). That or get another lower (Aluminum) and get the regular pin in type Colt blocks for my experiment.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:00:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By carbonblack:
So the 9mm hammer works with both 9 and 223? I was not aware of that. that makes life a lot easier, and makes more options available. I could have a mag block and use an oly upper, or I could have a drop in adapter and use colt, rock river etc. Sten mags are cheap, but Uzi mags are still available and can be converted to function in both weapons. Thanks for the info, I have never felt the need for nomex underwear, questions need to be answered and you gentlemen always have the answers. thanks to all.

Correct me if I'm wrong.... but the Oly 9mm Carbine will work with a .223 regular hammer I think.

The Colt design requires a different 9mm hammer but, as others said, it will work 100% reliably with .223 also. It is a matter of the "hook" on the .223 hammer not clearing the bolt carrier properly on the 9mm.

Anyway, I have a Colt 9mm setup and it's awesome. Mags are expensive for genuine colt mags but Uzi mags work just fine.... the only real difference being no last round hold open on the non-Colt mags. Big whoop.... an MP-5 doesn't have a hold open even with factory mags.

So yeah. Swap hammers once and you're all set.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:28:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By DarkHelmet:
Correct me if I'm wrong.... but the Oly 9mm Carbine will work with a .223 regular hammer I think.

My conversion dropped right onto a Colt .223 lower and has worked perfectly since. So I can verify that the oly conversion upper will work with a stock .223 setup.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:22:05 PM EST
The hammer that works on 'most' 9 uppers is the one that has the rounded edge. That's all I recall.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:02:46 AM EST
I know its ASA (with all that implies), but I believe their 9mm conversion may be what you are looking for. The Mag well adaptor drops in from the top and is held in place by the stock mag catch, which is also used to drop the magazines. I just checked their website and it doesn't say, but I believe they use converted UZI magazines which are converted by milling a slot in the side for the M16/AR15 mag catch.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 2:54:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Gunbert:

Originally Posted By DarkHelmet:

My conversion dropped right onto a Colt .223 lower and has worked perfectly since. So I can verify that the oly conversion upper will work with a stock .223 setup.

Im getting a 9mm upper as well as a 7.62 upper at
the gun show here in Dallas next weekend.
They will be placed on a Colt lower as well.
As far as the 9mm upper is concerned, was their an issue
with checking the head space on yours ?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:53:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:16:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By ILove2Shoot:
you should not have to worry about head spacing. when you get a 9mm upper, you also get a 9mm bolt/carrier. It is a dedicated one piece unit, you wont use and bolt/carrier parts from a 223 bolt carrier.

tankyou bro!!!
Top Top