Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 10:47:10 AM EDT
Will this work or will the plates move around too much? I just ordered the plate carrier, should have it early next week, trying to decide on plates. When I measure my chest, I'm about 9.5 inches from the dip between collar bones to slightly above my belly button, and about 8 inches from nip to nip, which leads me to believe that 8x10s are the way to go. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 10" x 12" Multi Curve Shooters Cut plates in my Banshee. They fit with a bit of room to spare. I think 8 x 10 would leave a lot of room to spare. I have heard that some people put padding around smaller plates to keep them in place but you might also consider larger plates.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 10" x 12" Multi Curve Shooters Cut plates in my Banshee. They fit with a bit of room to spare. I think 8 x 10 would leave a lot of room to spare. I have heard that some people put padding around smaller plates to keep them in place but you might also consider larger plates.
View Quote

I haven't bought any plates yet, so I think I will just go with the 10x12s. Hopefully they aren't too terribly big.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with 10x12" plates, shooter cut and curved. I scored a kevlar piece from a DAP and put it in front of the front plate for extra spall control.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If you go with 8X10 plates there would be room for some padding around the edges.  That would not only take up some of the room but would help protect the edge of the plate.  I have the 10X12 size in my Banshee and I used 3/4" pipe insulation on the top and bottoms of the plates just for added protection.  They have a split running the length of the insulation and you just pull it apart and slip it over the plate edge and tape it down.   I didn't put anything on the sides because I don't believe there would be enough room and I don't think it would really be needed.

That's for ceramic plates.  If you go with steel you wouldn't need any padding for protection of the plates but you may want to invest in one of the Kevlar type sleeves.  That would take up some of the room and give you some spall protection as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok thanks. I think I'll go with buying 1 10x12 plate, as that would probably be best for my back anyway, and then decide if I want another for the front or try the 8x10.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok thanks. I think I'll go with buying 1 10x12 plate, as that would probably be best for my back anyway, and then decide if I want another for the front or try the 8x10.
View Quote

That's not a bad idea.  I don't know much about their steel plates, but it you decide on ceramic I would give HighCom a serious look.  Their prices are competitive and the customer service is outstanding.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's not a bad idea.  I don't know much about their steel plates, but it you decide on ceramic I would give HighCom a serious look.  Their prices are competitive and the customer service is outstanding.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This rig is going to be thrown under the seats in my pickup truck, and I've heard ceramic plates aren't good for being beaten around so I'll probably stick with steel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 8x10's in a Shellback Banshee which I think is the same thing? Mine's a size Medium and I'm not even sure the 10x12's would fit in there. If they did it would be just barely. The 8x10's fit me perfectly and I am 5'9" and 155 pounds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have 8x10's in a Shellback Banshee which I think is the same thing? Mine's a size Medium and I'm not even sure the 10x12's would fit in there. If they did it would be just barely. The 8x10's fit me perfectly and I am 5'9" and 155 pounds.
View Quote

I am an athletic build (11-13% body fat) 5'8" at 195 and I feel the 10x12 fits me great but also fits the carrier well...as was mentioned above, there is actually a little bit of wiggle room (which I wish there weren't) but it fits in well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top