Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 9:36:50 PM EDT
I've recently been having trouble with my M1.  It will jam on the 8th round about half the time.  It will either over ride the last round completely and close on an empty chamber, or partially load the round but mash the bullet itself into the throat of the chamber.  It didn't use to do this.  Most of the time I use used clips, but it has done it on new ones as well.  Any ideas on what it could be?  I'm pretty sure all the internals are in good working order.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd inspect the follower assy.  Make sure it is operating smoothly in its channel and every thing is clean.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:28:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Check the op rod spring. Is it in spec.? Did you buy this rifle from the CMP? If so, does it have the op rod spring it came with? If so, I would just go ahead and replace it anyway. Most are at least 40-50 years old and worn out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd suspect the op rod spring too.. at the 8th round, if it is worn out, it may not have enough ommmpphhh to push up the last round or so to chamber them......
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I doubt its the op rod spring.  Its a stainless steel one from Orion7 that is never supposed to wear out.  From what I can tell the follower is moving smoothly as well.  Could this be ammo specific maybe?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#5]
the first suspect would be the op-rod spring, new ones are pretty cheap, and EVERYTHING will wear out eventually.  

An ammo problem would not be as likely, becaues it would not cause the bolt override on the 8th round, unless it was underpowered, but then it would fail to strip rounds before the 8th one too.

I say replace the op-rod spring with a NEW GI one.  Try that before getting into other solutions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Try loading the top round on the other side and see if problem continues.  I have a rifle that does this when the top round is on the right but runs 100% when the top round is on the left.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I've done that.  I used to load all rounds to the right but even when I switched to loading them all to the left it still persisted.  I'll see about getting a new op rod spring.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#8]
ok.. if it has a SS spring from Orion7 then it won't wear out... I have on of Tony's firsat ones in my 308 Match Garand and after 6K rounds through it the spring is still the same length and works perfectly... maybe a slightly bent follower arm? or follower rod?  Id suspect the follower if the follower arm or rod aren't bent....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, thanks.  I'll take a look at that.  But how do I tell if the follower rod is bent?  It looks fine to me at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Swap it out with a known good one.  If problem goes away, you know it was that part.  If the problem persists, then you know it is something else
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top