Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 5:31:09 AM EDT
I had a guy yesterday try to sell me a 8mm-06 wildcat m98 as a 30-06. It was intentional on his part. What tipped me off was it was clearly the original barrel. I tried a 308 bullet in the bore and it was a bit too big. The barrel had been poorly marked "30-06."

I have no knowledge of FN m98s, but many 98s that came in during the 50s had their 8mm barrel rechambered with a 30-06 reamer into the 8mm-06 wildcat. in fact my hornady #3 lists loads for this -- nice round, but not a 30-06. Lots of Bubba "smiths" rechambered the 7.7 as well.

Let's be careful out there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't doubt for a minute what you just described but, FN did make 30/06 model '98's. I just ran across one in a local shop and will go back next weekend to see if it was meant to be mine. Model 1950 was one run, they made a few contract models for the Congo and a few others immediately post WWII in 30/06. They had corrugated buttplates, 30 stamped on the rear receiver bridge, and a few other identifiers. They did however resemble 98K's for the most part.

HTH

Blitz
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#2]
8mm-06....reminds me of a range story.

I have an M1 Garand. It came with a WWll dated barrel, that had been pretty much shot out. A muzzle check with a loaded round would swallow the bullet up to the cartridge neck.

I was at the range one day shooting it and had gotten into a conversation with a crusty old geezer and mentioned the worn out barrel. He said "It's probably been bored out to 8mm-06." I didn't say anything but sure thought "WTF??!!" Now who, in their right mind would bore out and re-rifle an M1 barrel from .30-06 (common ammo) to 8mm-06 (wildcat invented to put surplus Mausers to use)? But the barrel passes the muzzle test with my .303 Brit ammo. Not that I've loaded any .303 bullets in the -06 cases. I had the rifle rebarreled using a Dane VAR barrel.

Some of the things you hear at the range/funstore.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#3]
It was done because reloadable 8mm mauser brass was scarce back in the day... Nothing really wrong with the 8mm-06 and with the better selection of .323 hunting bullets around today it is just as good if not better than straight 30:06 .
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Right. It was done to put 8mm rifles into use.

But why on earth would somebody convert a perfectly good .30-06 (especially a Garand) to 8mm-06. That's what the old guy was trying to tell me had probably happened.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Just speculating, but it might have been easier for someone in the 1950s to bore out a shot-out 308 to 323 than rebarrel.  I recall there were a number of shops setup for boring (and re-rifling) barrels many years ago. Now days, the cost of a new barrel is relatively cheap, and no one does this anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top