Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 11:11:00 AM EDT
So I'm cleaning and organizing the gun safe the other day, and come across my hand me down 870 that dates to the late 50's. It's rusty, ungly, and worn from years of hunting. I am taking it down to rebuild, but I need to know how to remove the bolt? I completely dumb-founded.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a link to a site with online owner's manuals:
www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Here's one on the Remington web site:
www.remington.com/support/parts/parts_schematics.asp

Also, Remington will send you a free one.

Additionally, you need a special spanner wrench to remove the fore end wood from the action bar assembly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#2]
dfariswheel thanks for the links. I removed the forearm no problem.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#3]
One more question. Can I simply change the barrel to my 2 3/4 870 express to make it able to shoot 3" shells? or do i need to change the bolt as well?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:08:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One more question. Can I simply change the barrel to my 2 3/4 870 express to make it able to shoot 3" shells? or do i need to change the bolt as well?

No, if the receiver is made for 2 3/4 shells, you should not shoot 3" magnums in it.

If the serial number suffix is "V" it's a 2 3/4" only receiver. If the serial number suffix is "M" it's a 2 3/4" or 3" magnum receiver.

Yup - and I'll add that a 2 and 3/4" receiver CAN be converted to 3" capacity, but it's a job for a professional, and will require refinishing afterwards... Still, if you're going to have the receiver refinished, I'd get the 3" conversion done at the same time - I did an old Wingmaster that way, and was glad I did....

- georgestrings
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top