Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2013 5:31:24 AM EDT
I was at a 3 gun event and on several occasions my newish 870 tactical locked up.

I would fire. try and pump the gun and it would lock up. and would not eject the gun with out not fucking with it for a while.
What would cause an 870 to do this. I have never had a problem like this before with a pump gun.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:19:08 AM EDT
What ammo were you using?

Best way to fix a stuck case is slam the butt stock against your hip/table/ground/whatever while pulling back against the pump.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:20:47 AM EDT
I must say, with all the love for the 870, I'm surprised to hear that they ever malfunction.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:29:58 AM EDT
Quoted:
What ammo were you using?

Best way to fix a stuck case is slam the butt stock against your hip/table/ground/whatever while pulling back against the pump.

A mix of Remington Winchester white box and a third brand I cant remember.

Quoted:
I must say, with all the love for the 870, I'm surprised to hear that they ever malfunction.

I have shot thousands of rounds through 870's since I was a little kid. Hell when I was a kid and didnt know anything about guns one was never cleaned and not a problem. but this new one. It wont run. and I'm not the only one who had that same problem that day.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:40:14 AM EDT
I've been shooting the same 870 for 40 years and never had a malfunction...OK...one and that was shooting some of those old Wanda shells...you know the clear red acrylic ones...and it was cracked.  Sorry your having trouble with the most reliable shotgun in the world.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:51:26 AM EDT
You got a one-of-a-kind collectable.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 11:14:54 AM EDT
Send it back to Remington and take advantage of the warranty. Could be a chipped extractor or broken extractor spring.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:34:45 PM EDT
The "usual" on this is actually failures to extract from the chamber.

The cause is a combination of three things.
1. Cheap ammo, ESPECIALLY Winchester cheap ammo as often sold by Walmart.

2. A rough chamber, usually in Express models.

3. Failure to CLEAN a new gun.  The factory puts a sticky lubricant in the bore and chamber to preserve it until sale.  The owner's manual recommends cleaning the gun, including the bore and chamber before firing.
If it's not cleaned, the factory lube and fouling from firing makes a sticky mess in the chamber that makes extraction difficult.

The "fix":
A. Buy a better grade of shells.

B. Polish the chamber and check for any sharp edges in the mouth area of the chamber that can hold a fired shell head.

To polish the chamber wrap some 0000 steel wool on a used bore brush.  Chuck the rod in an electric drill and run the drill at medium speeds.  Keep the brush moving up and down the chamber constantly.
You can also polish the bore while you're at it, but make sure that if the barrel has a screw-in choke a choke is in the barrel to protect the threads and don't polish the actual choke.
Polishing the chamber and barrel should take only a few minutes, so don't get carried away an do too much, it doesn't need it.
After polishing, clean the barrel thoroughly.

Probability:  Switching to better shells and polishing the chamber will cure any failures to extract.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:54:13 PM EDT
Quoted:

3. Failure to CLEAN a new gun.  The factory puts a sticky lubricant in the bore and chamber to preserve it until sale.  The owner's manual recommends cleaning the gun, including the bore and chamber before firing.
If it's not cleaned, the factory lube and fouling from firing makes a sticky mess in the chamber that makes extraction difficult.

The "fix":

B. Polish the chamber and check for any sharp edges in the mouth area of the chamber that can hold a fired shell head.

To polish the chamber wrap some 0000 steel wool on a used bore brush.  Chuck the rod in an electric drill and run the drill at medium speeds.  Keep the brush moving up and down the chamber constantly.
You can also polish the bore while you're at it, but make sure that if the barrel has a screw-in choke a choke is in the barrel to protect the threads and don't polish the actual choke.
Polishing the chamber and barrel should take only a few minutes, so don't get carried away an do too much, it doesn't need it.

Probability:  Switching to better shells and polishing the chamber will cure any failures to extract.

This is what I did with mine. Polished chamber and fixed problem
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:16:08 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "fix":

This is what I did with mine. Polished chamber and fixed problem

Yup, had this problem once before. Polishing chamber fixed it. (used to do it once in a while with high brass)

The buttstock smacked into a table, or the ground, and a hand on the pump slide will eject a stuck shell, in my experience also.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 9:26:24 PM EDT
Quoted:
I've been shooting the same 870 for 40 years and never had a malfunction...OK...one and that was shooting some of those old Wanda shells...you know the clear red acrylic ones...and it was cracked.  Sorry your having trouble with the most reliable shotgun in the world.

Yea my older 870's run freaking perfict. its the new one that's balls
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 9:27:41 PM EDT
Quoted:

The "fix":

I will try the polishing trick.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:08:50 PM EDT
While working as a Range Officer I have seen this.  The aluminum/stainless low base expands into a poorly made chamber.  After the fired shell cools down it will eject.  Just a combination of ammo quality going down and gun quality going down.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 11:29:47 AM EDT
I had the same problem with both my 870 and 1100 during 3 gun matches. I had to slam them on the ground to open actions several times during almost every stage. I was more than pissed at shot most of the stage from a knee to be closer to the ground to correct malfunctions. I was shooting reloads and probably need more powder to cycle the 1100 and further unlock the 870. I polished the shit out of 870 chamber and probably need to do the same to 1100.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:06:01 PM EDT
Winchester white box has a history of locking up 870s. I had it happen to me and a friend with the same gun tried it and same thing happened.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:19:10 AM EDT
Quoted:
Winchester white box has a history of locking up 870s. I had it happen to me and a friend with the same gun tried it and same thing happened.

Why would it lock up a 870 though?
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 6:34:32 AM EDT

Quoted:

While working as a Range Officer I have seen this.  The aluminum/stainless low base expands into a poorly made chamber.  After the fired shell cools down it will eject.  Just a combination of ammo quality going down and gun quality going down.

Once again...there are no readily commercially available shells made with an aluminum base.  They are steel  All of them.  

It has nothing to do with temperature.  It has everything to do with the properties of the steel and how it obturates during setback.  

Steel wool is not the correct tool for polishing the various anatomy of a shotgun barrel.  It will remove plastic fouling with quickness, and may put a temporary shine on the chamber, but the correct tool for doing this is called a Flex Hone. It uses 400 to 800 grit aluminum oxide that is run wet through the chamber, choke, or bore and it is available from Midway and Brownells for about $25.  

Almost every new 870 I am seeing lately has a burr of steel in the extractor cut out.  It needs to be addressed.  I suspect these burrs are grabbing and biting into the steel bases of inexpensive ammunition causing the extraction problems that everyone and their brother seems to be experiencing these days.  

I've pretty much stopped suggesting new 870s to shooters looking to get into a pump gun.  Remington is ruining the legacy of greatness of the model with the current batch of shit they are putting out.  From what I can see, the Nova is making strong headway into marketshare that was once dominated by the 870.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:46:08 PM EDT
So then what would the proper remedy be for this gun? take it to a smith to be fixed?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:05:57 AM EDT
I bought an 870 last year and it has the same problem. The failure to easily extract typically occurs when I am firing the shotgun rapidly for several strings of fire such as occurs during shotgun matches, stages or practice. Never occurs during skeet shooting. My 870 is a police magnum, not the express model.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:49:34 AM EDT
It was probably the shells you were using. I have never had one malfunction with mine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:00:31 AM EDT
My brand new tactical fed this stuff perfect
no tweaking cleaning first

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:19:20 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My brand new tactical fed this stuff perfect
no tweaking cleaning first

http://i.imgur.com/uV3Bntf.jpg
View Quote

I shot some of those and some Federal (slugs and 00 buck) through my brand new 870 police weekend before last. No problems.

OP, maybe something is amiss with the shell latch in the receiver?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:22:44 PM EDT
Quoted:

Once again...there are no readily commercially available shells made with an aluminum base.  They are steel  All of them.  

It has nothing to do with temperature.  It has everything to do with the properties of the steel and how it obturates during setback.  

Steel wool is not the correct tool for polishing the various anatomy of a shotgun barrel.  It will remove plastic fouling with quickness, and may put a temporary shine on the chamber, but the correct tool for doing this is called a Flex Hone. It uses 400 to 800 grit aluminum oxide that is run wet through the chamber, choke, or bore and it is available from Midway and Brownells for about $25.  

Almost every new 870 I am seeing lately has a burr of steel in the extractor cut out.  It needs to be addressed.  I suspect these burrs are grabbing and biting into the steel bases of inexpensive ammunition causing the extraction problems that everyone and their brother seems to be experiencing these days.  

I've pretty much stopped suggesting new 870s to shooters looking to get into a pump gun.  Remington is ruining the legacy of greatness of the model with the current batch of shit they are putting out.  From what I can see, the Nova is making strong headway into marketshare that was once dominated by the 870.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This right here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:27:05 PM EDT
It has NOTHING to do with ammo or cleaning the chamber.  It has everything to with the fact that the single extractor levers the shell hard against the wall just outside the chamber.  There are grooves there in new 870s, especially tacticals, because Remington quality control is a joke.  

This is the fix.  It works 100%:

Those of you with old 870s who say stuff like "but mine always works," congratulations.  Enjoy.  Just don't buy a new one.  Those of you with new ones that work fine, congratulations.  You got lucky.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.