Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 1:30:35 PM EDT
Hi,

I am new to the world of shotguns and I have shot some over-under break-barrel types, but not a pump-action. After reading-up on HD guns I recently bought a brand new Remington 870P MAX and I am (finally) getting set to go shooting with it for the first time next week with an instructor. After I got it home and I picked it up out of the box and grasp the pump, I noticed there is a little "slop" or "play" in the pump if I giggle it a little. I can move it forward and back about 1/8 inch without engaging the sliding pump-mechanism. I can also move it to the left or right just a wiggle.

I was expecting the pump to be solid as a rock and that it would only be 100% steady until I intended to pump it for firing. Is this slop in the pump normal for the pump on pump-action shotguns, or should it be completely solid and rock-steady?

Thanks,
AE
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Loose tolerances= more reliable. If everything was too tight a grain of sand might interupt normal operation.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/avidshooter/gunstuff.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top