Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2005 3:35:31 PM EDT
If this is the wrong forum, please feel free to direct me to the right one! I'm new to my M44, and 7.62x54r. When I bought my rifle, I also got some surplus ammo. I purchased 60 rounds, 14 of which I did not fire due to holes in the brass, or burrs around the primer. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy with the quality of this. I found a few sites to decode it, it turns out it was Albanian ammo from 1985. So, my question is, with all of the surpluss ammo around from all these countries, what is the stuff that people generaly stay away from? What is the stuff that is perfered to buy/shoot? Is my first experience common? Thanks for any advice.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 3:41:33 PM EDT by djenkins]
You just never know about anything made in Albania.

Looks like you got a nice rifle though.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:35:51 PM EDT
Yes honestly Albanian not very reliable. Shoot what you got, Throughly clean after every shoot ,if you want you can go with "SILVER BEAR" steel cased, or South African ammo which is very good, Or hell just stick with the NON COrrosive ammo that WON'T tear your bore to hell like a bad can of beans.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:19:55 PM EDT
The Albanian's visual quality is real questionable, BUT, I've shot a whole lot of it and it always went bang - the first time - and I never had any problems with it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:05:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Pthfndr:
The Albanian's visual quality is real questionable, BUT, I've shot a whole lot of it and it always went bang - the first time - and I never had any problems with it. YMMV.

I'd say with about 10 of the 14 I didn't fire, I couldn't get the bolt forward due to the burrs around the primer. I wouldn't call it a headspace issue either, just crappy ammo. So is that not real common? What's the best stuff to shoot? And thanks for the feedback guys!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2005 8:06:53 PM EDT by MauserMark]

Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:
So is that not real common? What's the best stuff to shoot? And thanks for the feedback guys!

with commercial like wolf (the best commercial for the money) no, for surplus, yes! But don't let that stop you from staying with surplus. So far I've found that the Yugo 7.62x54r is the best quality, and accuracy you'll find for the price, even better is it is not corrosive! But for commercial, stick with wolf, or brown bear if you can find it. Here's a good site I get a lot of my surplus from:

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=195727

check that out, around $75 for 450 rounds! and supposedly this Yugo ammo was considered match grade. it is definately accurate from what I tested out of my 2 mosins.

sucks though, the 150 round pack I ordered I shot almost completely in one day with a friend, now all they have for sale is the 450 round case!

enjoy your rifle!

-mm
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:41:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:06:18 AM EDT
You might also want to take a look at Gunboards and 7.62x54r.net/. I've heard mixed results on the albanian due to the variations in the rim thickness.

There's also some info on reaming out your chamber, as some of the mosins have old/dried/crappy cosmo that can cause problems with chambering.

A great round is the Polish Silvertip 147 gr - It doesn't have the recoil of the heavy ball rounds and I've been though about 500 rounds so far with no problems at all...basically just excellent surplus ammo. Ammunition Store has it for about $65/880 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:22:13 PM EDT
Thanks for all the input, guys! I've been looking into getting into reloading for my AR, and was wondering if it's worth it to reload 7.62x54r? I've noticed I some of the surplus ammo says it's not reloadable. Is there any that is? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:55:35 AM EDT
Some of it is reloadable, but when you can get ammo for <$0.10/rd why bother?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:37:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cacique500:
Some of it is reloadable, but when you can get ammo for <$0.10/rd why bother?

+1.

When it comes to 8mm and 7.62x54r, I wouldn't be to worried about the surplus supplies in the world drying up in our time. Doesn't mean it hurts to save reloadable brass.

Most isn't reloadable, but some of the brass cased surplus is. Sometime in the near future, I'm gonna start saving up all the reloadable brass I shoot, for the simple reason that, maybe one day down the road I'll get around to reloading, it won't hurt to have some bags full of brass laying around.

-mm
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:50:00 AM EDT
Top Top