Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 4/27/2014 5:15:43 PM EDT
Is 7068 strong enough to make a barrel out of?  Obviously it won't hold rifling, so you'd need a steel liner.  I was thinking a 4140 or 4150 liner that's .325 around the bore and .476 around the chamber, so basically .05" thick.  Also a steel sleeve in the gas port to reduce erosion.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:55:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/27/2014 6:57:38 PM EDT by AeroE]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:46:18 PM EDT
What is your goal?

Light weight with rigidity?  Heat dissipation?

Teludyne Industries has an interesting concept; they sleeve a lightweight steel barrel in an aluminum tube and fill it with a proprietary blend of epoxy and heat conducting materials, making a very lightweight, stiff, accurate barrel that rapidly dissipates heat.

Might be a simpler solution if that's what you are trying to accomplish.

Link to an article explaining it.

They do AR's

I have a nice piece of Aluminum 1" tubing and a spare 10/22 barrel on my bench, one of these days I intend to try to duplicate their system.......
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:04:21 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Do you know if this piece of stock is heat treated?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Do you know if this piece of stock is heat treated?  

T6511.

Do you have a piece of material on hand already, or is this something you found by searching on line?

I don't have any on hand, I'm not going to invest in something without doing research first.

Barrels get hot enough for the difference in the coefficient of thermal expansion for each piece is not negligible.  The aluminum will grow almost 50% greater than the steel liner.  If they are bonded together, then the bond line stress should be examined.

And this kills that idea entirely.  What about Titanium?  Specifically 6AL-4V.  I realize it would expensive, but would titanium's lower coefficient of thermal expansion be a problem?  Would the steel trying to expand further than the titanium cause the titanium to crack?

Originally Posted By PR361:
What is your goal?

Light weight with rigidity?  Heat dissipation?

Light weight

Originally Posted By PR361:
Teludyne Industries has an interesting concept; they sleeve a lightweight steel barrel in an aluminum tube and fill it with a proprietary blend of epoxy and heat conducting materials, making a very lightweight, stiff, accurate barrel that rapidly dissipates heat.

Might be a simpler solution if that's what you are trying to accomplish.

Link to an article explaining it.

They do AR's

I have a nice piece of Aluminum 1" tubing and a spare 10/22 barrel on my bench, one of these days I intend to try to duplicate their system.......

The Teludyne's are nice, but when ultimate lightweight is the goal, they just aren't quite there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:17:32 PM EDT
I wasn't recommending them so much as an examination of their process, which might be adapted to your needs. Something along the lines of machining a steel barrel to minimal safe dimensions and fitting it with a machined aluminum sleeve and filling the void with an epoxy mixture. a low-buck alternative to a carbon fiber wrapped barrel.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:45:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/28/2014 6:50:00 PM EDT by AeroE]
Top Top