Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2002 5:43:22 PM EDT
i'm thinking about getting a bolt gun, prolly a remington PSS or VS in .308.

i made a point of getting a milspec 5.56 chamber in the AR i recently built so i could shoot military surplus ammo.

i'm wondering if a .308 bolt gun like the remington will be okay with surplus 7.62 stuff or if .308 in a 'civilian' weapon is similar to .223 where the the military rounds might not be the best idea because they're loaded to higher pressures.

thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't shoot crap ammo out of a nice bolt gun.            I just purchased a VS .308 synthetic and it will only be fed the good stuff.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wouldn't shoot crap ammo out of a nice bolt gun.            I just purchased a VS .308 synthetic and it will only be fed the good stuff.

Same on this end bill. Just got a VS in .308 and wouldn't think about feeding surplus or even "regular" hunting ammo through. Elvez, I don't think it should be a concern.

Edited to say: Would you feed YOUR baby spoiled carrots and not expect him/her to throw up all over you. It's a moral question.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Run milsurp through your rifle without fear.  accuracy won't be the same as match/hunting ammo - that's all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]
right. thanks for the replies.

i was just looking at the milsurp ammo for practice. which i need. lots of.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
right. thanks for the replies.

i was just looking at the milsurp ammo for practice. which i need. lots of.

Why dont you reload? it may not be as cheap as buying military surplus ammo but then military ammo isnt accurate... so if you want to practice shooting scores that 2-3 moa with military ammo wont cut it... if you want to shoot beer cans or whatever military ammo's good for that. When you reload depending on the components you can get down to about 5 dollars a box with 308. But you will have match ammo prices at the prices of a box of 223. If you use military surplus components like bullets and powders, you save even more. Just dont use pulldowns because they probably arent consistant. Military bullets are okay as long as they are true, I got 1000 30 cal m2 balls from river valley www.rvow.com for 55 dollars, thats 5 dollars per 100.... meaning the bullet is 5 cents each.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 1:29:13 AM EDT
[#6]
From my readings at the Fulton Armory site, the 223Rem/5.56NATO & the 308Win/7.62NATO is that the chambers in the military guns are just a few thousands longer. The NATO case is stronger to handle the longer chambers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Run milsurp through your rifle without fear.  accuracy won't be the same as match/hunting ammo - that's all.

Ditto. I ran them through my LTR with no problem. The only difference is the accuraccy of the match ammo.  Once more thing that I noticed was that the surplus ammo gave you a tighter/harder bolt operation than the match ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top