Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2010 5:26:20 AM EDT
Anyone ever have problems with large pistol primers falling out of the Dillon large primer tubes? This is a brand new 550B that I am helping a friend set up. I have an older 550B and I never had this problem.

Dane
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:58:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried putting on a new plastic tip
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Have you tried putting on a new plastic tip

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone ever have problems with large pistol primers falling out of the Dillon large primer tubes? This is a brand new 550B that I am helping a friend set up. I have an older 550B and I never had this problem.

Dane

Yes, replacements did the same thing. These are new from Dillon. I will contact them for help.

Dane
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Pictures would help. Someone might spot something in the pictures that you are missing.

jonblack
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Do they fall out of the tube which is loaded one primer at a time or from the main primer tube that is housed in the steel tube which feeds primers to the primer feeder/seater.
If they fall from the pick up tube (loaded one at a time) as you invert the tube to dump into the main protected tube, then perhaps you have forgotten to first insert the carter key
into the non-pick up end before flipping that tube to dump primers into the protected tube.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dane

I think some have not fully read the OP's post.  He does have experience with his own 550B.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're not using the plastic tip meant for the magazine tubes, in lieu of the pick up tube's plastic tip (both lg/sm) then it's possible that they were manufactured with NOT enough tension to hold the primers in the pickup tube while you're picking them up.

I could see some Chinese fuck taking a 'chum break' while that batch was going through the injection moulding machine.

Chris

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#9]
First time I've heard of that............had mine for way over twenty years and never a hitch.........same old primary feed tubes too!

I'd suggest you closely check the tension spring on the feed block assembly.............just might not have enough tension.   Another thought is if you're seating the feed tube properly............mine have a plastic 'tit' that must seat fully down......I'd assume that even tho mine's old as hell that the system is still the same.                 Failing all else call Dillon!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#10]
At what point/place are the primers falling out?  After loaded into the magazine, or during primer transport on the way to the primer seat stem?
I load on a Dillon 550 RL & a SDB.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:55:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Took my older tubes over and they work fine. New ones have a problem.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Call Dillon, they will send new ones, free and fast.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:49:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't want to start a new thread to ask this question....

When picking primers up with the tube, how do you get the last primer you picked up to go far enough into the tube to drop out when you invert it and pull the pin?

I have been using an allen wrench and just shoving it further in there.  Is there a proper way?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:21:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I didn't want to start a new thread to ask this question....

When picking primers up with the tube, how do you get the last primer you picked up to go far enough into the tube to drop out when you invert it and pull the pin?

I have been using an allen wrench and just shoving it further in there.  Is there a proper way?

yeah just poke it, I use the cotter pin which has to be removed to let the primers drop in the first place

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#15]
There are two different type plastic tips used.  One is for the magazine tube, which has no tension on it.  The ones used on the pickup tube has tension on it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:47:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Note to self:

"Make primer tube holders like Dryflash's before you tear yours up"

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:55:28 AM EDT
[#18]

What's the story with the blue and yellow tips, mine are just plain yellow tips for small primers and green tips for large primers

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What's the story with the blue and yellow tips, mine are just plain yellow tips for small primers and green tips for large primers

I think that is the adapter tip for use on the Dillon primer filler machine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:33:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Tip for anyone making those primer blocks, the yellow primer tube tips are smaller in diameter than the green primer tube tips.

Make 2 different size holes, one for small and one for large.  Worse case is the green ones won't fit in the holes for the yellow ones and the yellow ones will flop all around in the larger holes

Here's some I had made up.  Fancy use of a router, sanded, edges rounded, poly'd.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top