Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 9:23:38 AM EDT
I have never filled out a .20 for transporting my cans across state lines.  To this day the form instructions say DD, MG, SBR or SBS.  Nothing about a silencer.

When I went to pick up my latest can the other day, the dealer, who I have used before said I have to give you this speech now.  "You are now in possession of a destructive device.  Keep a copy of this stamp and form with you at all times.  If you go across state lines you have to fill out ATF Form 5320.20....blah, blah, etc, etc..."

Anyway, she said the ATF told them they had to tell all the customers this spiel when they pick up their title II arms.  I didn't say anything, just nodded my head and went on about my business even though I'm 99% sure you do not need to file 5320.20 to travel with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:29:24 AM EDT
Odd. I haven't bought a can in a while but I didn't get any speech, just "Thank you for your business, hope to see you again soon. Have fun with your new toy."

A can is NOT a DD.

Last I knew a 5320.20 was not required for cans but the BATFE would process and approve it if you submitted one with a can on it. If I intended to travel with a silencer, I would file one. Processing time is pretty reasonable and it doesn't cost you anything. Having an approved 5320.20 helps with the document dump if you run into a cop or other bureaucrat who doesn't know the rules.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:00:53 AM EDT
The ATF "Requests" the form but it is NOT required. Yet...I'll dig around on ATF's site and get the exact reference when able.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:52:29 AM EDT
You do not need to fill out a form 5320.20 for silencers.  I have a letter from the ATF stating this...guess they got tired of me submitting the forms so they decided to tell me to please stop...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:57:20 AM EDT
Yeah I remember hearing suppressors and AOW's you can move around without having to tell the ATF. However anything else like a DD, SBR, SBS, Machine Gun you must inform the ATF.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:27:08 PM EDT
This is a question I was wondering about myself as I travel constantly with work and am in the process of purchasing my first 2 cans right now! Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:16:00 AM EDT
I sent a letter when I moved across state lines back in 2009.  I just got a reply back in the mail last week.  It thanked me for keeping the registry accurate, and apologized for taking so long for a reply.  I don't think it is an issue.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:50:42 PM EDT
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:56:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GunDisaster:

Yeah I remember hearing suppressors and AOW's you can move around without having to tell the ATF. However anything else like a DD, SBR, SBS, Machine Gun you must inform the ATF.

Please post the letter.  It would be good for everyone to be able see and print it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:52:55 AM EDT
All my cans are dedicated to a single host.  I fill out the form for the SBR and also list the can.  Never even been asked for a form 1/4 or .20, but I think it would be easier to explain to a local LEO even if it's not required.  That's not my tight tin foil hat talking, just my old lazy self.  If I was ever traveling with just a can or aow, I would do it without a .20 if time did not permit.  Guess this could also happen if I traveled with an ar15 pistol and a can.

Just sayin my 2 cents...
Top Top