Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 12:47:07 PM EDT
I have a Rapid Fire 51 clone that I had them do with a full 16" barrel. I love the gun and it shoots 100% reliable.  I have done the SBR thing to a couple guns now and I think I am hooked. I keep entertaining thoughts of SBRing my 51 clone.

Will I need to tweek it to run after the barrel is shortened?

I have heard that this can be done by removing a few coils from the recoil spting, but when I first got the gun this had already been done...it fired fine, but wouldn't have enough force to strip the top round on a full mag...fine with 18, but 20 was no go....I put an un-cut 91 spring in it and now it is perfect.....just looking for input here.

I don't want to have a very cool looking (in my eyes anyway) gun that doesn't work for shit.

Added.....pretty much the same question with my 16" barreled 53 clone also.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You should talk to Brian at House of the 51 www.hot51.com/

He's probably the most knowledgeable smith on Hk51 builds.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I checked his site and he's gone until 3-25-05..I'll check when he gets back. Thanks for the lead.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]

I have heard that this can be done by removing a few coils from the recoil spting...

Been talking with Bubba again?  

The correct way, if I'm not mistaken, is to use a different locking piece.  The angles on the locking piece control the "leverage" exerted by the chamber forces over the bolt and recoil spring.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Been talking with Bubba again?

Actually Todd Groove (owner of Rapid Fire) told me that......but I agree, it isn't probably the correct way to do it.  Nothing against Todd G....he is a great guy. I understand about the different locking pieces, because I have a PDW semi-auto and I know that has a different one to make that run better with the short barrel. Do you know what particular locking piece I would need to look for? Or is is just a 51 locking piece?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
A G3K locking piece and a standard HK91/G3 recoil rod, unmodified.  Cut the Barrel, thread it for a flash and you should be ready to go.  Don't forget to get the correct HK53 wide forearm to replace the HK94 ones that are so often used.

Mine started out life as a HK91, so I had to do quite bit more than just modifying the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Are G3K locking pieces hard to find? $??????

I have a 53 forearm.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
If you decide to go with a Hot51 build, Brian will custom grind a G3 locking piece to match the gun. He will also modify your recoil rod/spring for about $25.00

HTH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top