Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2008 4:57:57 PM EST
Ever use the flat point TC before? I know it's an old design and haven't found much load data for it, just things similar.
I am looking for a seating depth suggestion on it since I can't find any for it and the ranges I am finding on ones similar in weight and type are all over the place.
XTP is similar and so is a SWC but I am using a rainier plated flat point @ 185 gr.
I am also using unique, started at 6 and settled on 6.4.

any seating ideas, I have tried using a TAP round as a guide with good results.

but at 6gr of unique I was getting some sooting on the cases, less @ 6.4

the max in my reference is 7.5 and thats going by weight and not what I am looking for , just seating.

I was asking about seating at, near or whatever to the lands because I never found mention of this on this cartridge and headspacing is done via case mouth.

any 45 advice here? I am using this in a HK USP only, so I went with plated.results are good but I would like to know any more on this.
thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:01:48 PM EST
I've loaded alot of Rainier Plated in .45 ACP, 185 and 230 grn. I just went by JHP data for the same weight, including OAL. Never had a problem.

Don't remember what OAL I loaded 'em to, though. Haven't loaded any for a while.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:06:56 PM EST
thats how i've done it so far, just don't like guessin or going by "similarities" but may have to.

I got a bunch of these for my birthday the other day and I'm gettin antsy to go out back
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:07:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/26/2008 5:09:28 PM EST by wildearp]
Plated bullets tend to be softer than FMJ and it is recommended to load them to the lower velocity of a similar weighted lead round to prevent over pressure.

I have also loaded them to FMJ velocities with no problems in modern firearms. Be very careful.

TC seating depth can be critical with some feed ramps and barrels. If a bit too long, they will hang up on the rifling and if too short they won't feed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:19:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Plated bullets tend to be softer than FMJ and it is recommended to load them to the lower velocity of a similar weighted lead round to prevent over pressure.

I have also loaded them to FMJ velocities with no problems in modern firearms. Be very careful.

TC seating depth can be critical with some feed ramps and barrels. If a bit too long, they will hang up on the rifling and if too short they won't feed.

at their website they mentioned the velocity/lead thing and said keep under 1200fps.
the seat depth I started with(using a manual) I could tell it was into the grooves.so I compared with the TAP and got 1.225. I went to that and it works, but I thought maybe the sooting on the case was a non expanding/sealing issue where maybe my seating was an issue.kind of like on a bottle neck case.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:52:10 PM EST
The soot is probably because you are using Unique. Even though it is advertised as cleaner burning than before, it is still a dirty powder. Switch to Winchester 231 and you will like the results.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 5:55:32 PM EST
good, thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 6:50:03 AM EST
after trying some different seating depths I am going with just back from the lands in the polygonal bore.doing this and lowering the charge again, when I started the case ejected maybe 6-8 inches from the slide @ a 6gr charge and was very light on recoil.my 11 yr old son loved that, a mild shooting 45.to him that was a lot more fun than how it usually recoils.

but for safety of being sure the bullet actually leaves the bore I ended up getting back to 6.5 gr , there is a max chg of 7.5 for this.

this is probably boring to most since most people are into different calibers but with the 45 there is more to work with I think, so me and my wife and son have a lot of fun blowing up jugs of water out back. the reason I am trying to be over carefull doing this.

thanks again. Rick.
Top Top