Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2001 5:07:48 PM EDT
I'm looking into buying a 45 and would like to get some opinions. To all the Colt fans I've already decided against the 1911 because of the low magazine capacity and because I like double actions. I've been looking at Para-Ordnance and I like there design. Any opinions are greatly appriciated. Thanks
littlemarine
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Re-evaluate your decision.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Larry Vickers
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]
For a newbie, a Glock makes better sense. I think the best pistols on the market now are Sigs and H&K's. The Sig's are probably a little better.

I too, find the 1911 magazine to be a little small.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Hello!
The .45 is a GREAT! round. I myself am a 10MM fan, but I can understand that some people don't like the hassles with getting ammo.

I too also hate the 1911 as a fighting handgun. There are so many other guns that are so much better for that purpose, I just don't understand 1911 guys trying to justify that dusty target pistol.

Glock 21 is a fine gun. I also had a chance to fire a CZ97, and was EXTREMLEY impressed.
You can never go wrong with a Sig or a H&K-
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I would go with a Sig P220.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Sig P220
Sig P245
CZ 97
Glock 36

In that order
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#7]
man... if 8 rounds in the mag aren't enough, you're doin something wrong!  hehehehe

all kidding aside, a .45 is best launched from a steel platform.  I shot a .40 glock, and that sucker had twice as much muzzle flip as my 1911.  

If anything, I'd look at some of the Para Ordinance... they've got some double stack, double action .45s

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]

I too also hate the 1911 as a fighting handgun. There are so many other guns that are so much better for that purpose, I just don't understand 1911 guys trying to justify that dusty target pistol.

Opinions are like arseholes, we each have one. AND it's your [Landon's] opinion that the 1911 is unsuitable as a fighting handgun, despite it's use in the WW I, WW II, Korea and Vietnam as well as domestically here in the US.

There are many fine .45acp caliber handguns available. Any of which I would carry with confidence, HOWEVER it's that dusty old target pistol that will be my first choice every time.
It's been a damn fine companion when walking in harms way.

YMMV.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]
If capacity is all your worried about, get yourself a nice Springfield Armory 1911 and get one of those High capacity extended mags. There not much for looks but, of the various military side arms I carried in my career, the 1911 was the most durrable, hard hitting,(and wont crack when dropped in extreem cold weather, sorry Glock fans) and dependable.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Since the best 45 platform is out (1911) Go with the Sig. but as far as mag capacity all you can have is 10+1 so the 1911's 8+1 isn't bad.

I would stay away from Para Ordinance I personal have yet see one that functioned %100 although I have heard the are out there.

Clinth
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Littlemarine,
Wilson combat has a polymer frame 10+1 1911 .45 and a 9+1 compact out on the market for a grand. I haven't seen one yet, except in G&A, but it might be worth checking out.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]

I would stay away from Para Ordnance. I personally have yet to see one that functioned 100%, although I have heard that they are out there.

The only people that I have ever heard these kinds of comments from are from those who don't own a Para. Somebody has forgotten to tell my STUPID Para P14 45 about this. That dumbass gun just keeps on shucking out all of the fodder that I feed it. Handloads, cheap plinking stuff, cast. JHPs, etc. WTF?!!! Doesn't it know it's not supposed to do that? If these guns are so terribly bad, how is it that they're still allowed to cumber about the Earth?
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
man... if 8 rounds in the mag aren't enough, you're doin something wrong!  hehehehe

---snip---

Beat me to it! Any group of people that are still standing after a couple magazines of .45 require something more in the size of a crew served weapon.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Glock 21
HK USP 45 series
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#15]
have a HK USP 45 Compact
love it, but you "only" have 9rnds of 45 (really now, thats plenty)
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

---snip---

Beat me to it! Any group of people that are still standing after a couple magazines of .45 require something more in the size of a crew served weapon.

AMEN! I bet my buddy that I could ACCURATELY put 16 rounds on target with my Kimber faster than he could ACCURATELY put 15 rounds out with his P89. 13 weeks later He is still trying to prove me wrong.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#17]
High capacity .45ACP pistols are BIG.  I've gotten used to them and shoot my Glock 21 and ParaOrdnance P14-45 a couple times a month.  Mags are expensive too as they're all 7 years old.

I've not yet met a .45ACP pistol I didn't like and have bought several including the HK USP 45 Compact (8+1), Beretta M8045 (8+1), Taurus PT945 (8+1), and the new very small Taurus PT145 (10+1).  I've not yet bought a SIG P220, but the time is coming.

Any of the seven mentioned pistols is worth having, picking just one is the hard part.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I like my glock 21. I also like the 1911's. The para's seem to be a good choice in 1911's. I would highly suggest handeling a couple different ones simply because of the different sizes in the grips. Buy a good 45 and you'll never regret it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I personally don't own a Para 1911, but I have 3 friends who have them and have had plenty of trouble with them.  They were extremely picky about feeding, and needed some serious tweaking to work right.  A buddy of mine who is an excellent 1911 'smith said he won't work on Para guns because they are too hard to fix.  He said the finish of the frames is way too rough, and this can contribute to reliability problems.

That being said, I think Para has made a lot of improvements in their manufacturing process and is currently making a pretty decent gun.  I darn near bought a P14 LDA for duty, it felt so good in my hand and the trigger was sweeeeeeeet!  I'd have preferred the single-action, but I can't carry one in uniform.  I decided to go with the Glock 35 instead for a number of reasons, and have been very happy with it.

If you must have a double-stack .45, be prepared to carry a fairly large gun if you want more than 10 rounds.  If you pack a standard 1911 with McCormick 8-round mags, you're only two rounds down with a much slimmer package.  If you buy a Para or a Glock 21, be prepared to pay a premium for pre-ban hi-cap mags.

If magazine capacity and a decent-sized round are your major concerns, look at getting a .40.  Without re-hashing old arguments about calibers, with a .40 you get plenty of power in a 9mm-sized frame.  With a Glock and pre-ban magazines, you can have up to 15 of them in your sidearm.  My G35 is almost exactly the same size as a government model 1911 (just a bit thicker), and with a Milt Sparks IWB holster it conceals darn near as well.  I picked up a few pre-ban mags for it, and with one spare mag I've got 31 rounds of .40 ready to go.  Great duty/concealed carry gun.

If you can get over your aversion to single actions, think about an STI gun.  They are not that much thicker in feel than a standard 1911 due to the polymer grip frame, and they tend to be more reliable than the Para's (at least the old ones).  A buddy of mine carries one daily- with two spare mags he's got 46 rounds of .45 on tap.  Feeds anything he puts into it.

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Got my ParaOrd 14.45 in '95.  It has eaten my three and four times handloaded brass, cheapo ammo such as S&B, UMC, Winchester White Box, PMC, Blaser, and the good stuff like Hydra-Shock & Black Talon and I don't think I have ever even had one failure to feed.  Granted the Hi-Cap mags are very expensive now but it is a fine pistol. I even went to the trouble to put some Novak low-mount tritium sights on it because I like it so much.  I also love my Glock 19 (not a .45 obviously, but much lighter).  Check many different pistols out; each has its own character and fits an individual's hand differently.  Can't go wrong with the Para though so long as it fits.    
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I would stay away from Para Ordnance. I personally have yet to see one that functioned 100%, although I have heard that they are out there.

The only people that I have ever heard these kinds of comments from are from those who don't own a Para. Somebody has forgotten to tell my STUPID Para P14 45 about this. That dumbass gun just keeps on shucking out all of the fodder that I feed it. Handloads, cheap plinking stuff, cast. JHPs, etc. WTF?!!! Doesn't it know it's not supposed to do that? If these guns are so terribly bad, how is it that they're still allowed to cumber about the Earth?

Jim_Dandy-actually I have owned 2 one about 5 years ago. never would feed all the time I would say about 80% of the time. After hearing how much the have improved and listening to people with new ones ssaing they are great. I bought P14-45 it ran great for about a month then went to sh*t back to the same feeding issues so I sold it and vowed never to waste my time again. But Like originally said I have heard of people like you, who swear to them. Good for you I'm glad you happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Ruger P-90 series. Enough said.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#23]
H&K USP45-Tactical, if you want a no-holds-barred, accurate, do-anything, shoot-anything combat handgun. The GSG-9 use 'em (and so do I). Excellent quality, tough, and faultlessly reliable. I used to work at a range and have fired many different handguns and I'd say this one is the best I've ever tried.

Mag. cap is 10 rds, or you can spend real $ and get the few legal 12 rd ones out there. Hopefully, when the '94 (more)crime bill sunsets, the higher cap mags will become legal (and cheaper) again.

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:56:18 AM EDT
[#25]
32 smith and wesson long in a detecive special. in my pocket . or colt 1908 25acp. buy the time you get the gun out youre finished. when i cant carry the 1911 i go for somthing fast and small. but if you like the para, then go for it. its just the begining. I started with one pistol. thats all i need ! right? LOL . i have guns for every reason . from " i saw it on tv" aka luger. To hey this thing really shoots ?! we got to keep it now !
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:14:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I have 5 Paras
Base model to a Wilson built
All run fine with factory mags.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:27:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a PO 14-15LDA and it runsd beautifully.  This is probably the one you will be looking at if you want a PO full size 1911.  Can buy 14 rounds mags but I will admit they do have a fairly wide grip due to the double stack.  Definately go to the shop and hold one make sure that the wide grip isn't a problem.  I have no problems with mine and I would buy one again in a heartbeat.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:36:43 AM EDT
[#28]
BUY KIMBER, BE HAPPY!

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:39:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I have owned my Para P14-45 for 4 years. I have shot many thousands of rounds through it with no problems at all. I have only ever used factory mags. I think that just like any firearm...some swear by it ...some swear against it.

My $.02..Find something that you like and that fits you well...shoot it religiously and determine if it is right for you.

Fis_Prod
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:43:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I just have some serious doubts as to the negative claims that I read about Paras. It's always from somebody who "heard" something or "had" a mystery pistol which they can never describe in great detail or give specifics as to the problems and exactly what was done to diagnose it. When I took my CCW class nearly six years ago, there were three different people who were using various models of Paras to qualify and there was another provided by the range as a rental for those without a weapon. All were in .45 and all functioned flawlessly. I've had mine for nearly three-and-a-half years and it's had nary a hiccup. Then again, I don't start trying to find fault in things based on what somebody's best friend's-sister's-neighbor's-cousin's-co-worker's-nephew's-girlfriend said or heard.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:51:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Ruger P-90 series. Enough said.

???????????????????????????????????????????????

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top