Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2002 12:16:39 PM EDT
My brothers soon to be father in-law was in Nam and he had a 45acp wheel gun. My brother is wanting to get him one because he wished he would have taken it when he left the Marines

He does not know what model it was and I can't find anything on it. So if anyone can help me out with some info or a place that I can tell him that might have one it would help. I don't know if this will help any but he was a officer back then.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
SGB thanks for the info on that at least now I know what to look for I'm guessing it's going to hard to find one marked U.S.M.C
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#3]
That will be a bit hard to find...but s/w has always made them and still do......you can probably get a fairly new...good shape used at a very reasonable $......if it has to be original......search is on......
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Possibly it could have been one of the Colt 1917's as well. Finding one labelled "USMC", unless this was done in the weapon's later service may be hard.. The 1917 service revolvers were typically marked on the butt with "U.S. ARMY MODEL 1917", followed by a serial number.. The underside of the barrel was marked "UNITED STATES PROPERTY"..

Either one is a damn fine piece, but collectors have driven the prices up quite a bit..

Good luck-

Meplat-

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#5]
BTW, S&W is coming out with limited run producstions of a lot of vintage revolvers lately, chances are if you are interested in a repro model, they'll have some info., if not good luck in your search for an original, be prepared to SPEND.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Possibly it could have been one of the Colt 1917's as well. Finding one labelled "USMC", unless this was done in the weapon's later service may be hard.. The 1917 service revolvers were typically marked on the butt with "U.S. ARMY MODEL 1917", followed by a serial number.. The underside of the barrel was marked "UNITED STATES PROPERTY"..

Either one is a damn fine piece, but collectors have driven the prices up quite a bit..

Good luck-

Meplat-

Thanks for the info on that I was not sure if it was marked USMC or not. I'll tell my brother that so he may get one before he marries this girl.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#7]
While anything is possible, it’s hard to believe any .45 wheel guns were still in active inventories during Vietnam.  

However, there were .38’s all over the place as well as all sorts of personally owned and captured handguns.

I’m certainly not saying it couldn’t have happened - just that you might want to make sure this is being accurately described to you.  (Personally, I’d discreetly inquire about half-moon clips and see if the father-in-law has any idea what they are.)
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:43:08 AM EDT
[#8]
you'd be suprised what is floating around out there in inventory, i once got detailed on a "working party" to help the armorers clean, inventory and PM their stock. they had M14s, M16A1s and about a dozen Greaseguns NIB with the 9mm kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top