Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2002 6:31:14 AM EDT
Does any company make a bolt action 45/70 govt. I was just thinking in a single shot rifle it can be hand loaded up to a 458 win mag and in a modern bolt action the same could be done with the advantage of it being a repeater.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#1]
in my speer manual they are listed by type of action, springfield action being the weakest and modern leveractions win 1886 and marlin guide gun and then modern single shots example ruger #1, I think the New england arms handi rifle would be included in this. the stronger the action the hotter the recomended loads
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The Gibbs rifles based on the British Enfields are chambering for the 45-70 the examples I have seen are somewhat rough but functional and very affordable. The 45-70 is a very strong cartridge in modern rifles and handguns allthough it can't begin to approach the 458 Win Mag( neither does the recoil) it can approximate the 458 American (458 x 2). I have seen a BFR revolver chambered in 45-70 chrono at a bit under 1700 fps with a 470 Gr. cast bullet, and a Guide Gun with the same load hit a bit over 1700 fps. This is plenty strong for anything you should encounter.
Have a nice day, Rabon...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top