Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2002 4:59:26 PM EDT
One maker's barrel is 4140 chrome-moly ...
the other's 4150...is there really any appreciable difference?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#1]
4150 steel is harder so it should resist wear better. SHOULD. I bet you would never find a real difference in practical use though.  My dad has some background in metalurgy and when I asked him this question he said "both will last a loooong time, don't worry about it."
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
.01% more carbon in the alloy.  You'll never notice a difference.  Nor will I.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Note the terms 4140 and 4150 do not in any way specify or guarantee the complete composition or machining of either of these alloys.  There are many variants which have both standard and private commercial letters to specify differences in the metals.

I believe in rifle barrels both are considered a medium carbon alloy. Both have roughly the same chromium and molybdenum ratio.  I’m not a machinist (my father also is and I have tried to pick up on it for auto-racing applications) but, I believe that the 4150 has a higher carbon content allowing better hardness through heat treatments.

I laughed cause 4WHEELINGUNNER’S father’s response would so imitate my father’s response to such a question. "both will last a loooong time, don't worry about it." Although first, my father would ask; “Why, what are you doing now?”
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Rock River 4140
Bushmaster 4150
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Note the Mil-Spec REQUIRES 4150 steel be used for the barrels.  4140 is used as a cheaper substitute by most of the Clone makers  (Colt and Bushmaster are the only two that use 4150 and sell to the public - FN uses 4150, but cannot legally sell them to the public).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top