Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 7/17/2013 7:57:41 PM EDT
The selector switch on my m16 is pretty stiff.  Is that normal because it has to overcome the autosear or something?

I thought I might be able to loosen it up a little bit by trimming the spring in the grip, but i wanted to check here first.

I also thought about upgrading to the BAD-CASS, but haven't decided on that yet.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
lube it, work it, trim the spring as a last resort
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Lightly round the tip of the detent
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Some of them are just stickier than others. If it's overly tough to switch then I'll hit the tip of the detent with a file and keep trying it until it feels right.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure the detente is not upside down, or is the wrong one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't trim springs.  More likely fixed by a drop of clp on each bearing surface of the selector in the lower.... and or verifying the correct detent.. and that it's not mis-shaped.  I wouldn't round off the detent.... that could give you mushy position engagement.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#8]
A bit more information.

Its a colt RR.  I installed a colt FA LPK last year and it hasn't seen a whole lot of use.  Has a standard colt detent, spring, and selector.  The trigger group is a Geissele SSF.

I did as some of you suggested and threw a bunch of lube on it (slip 2000) and attempted to round off the edge of the detent to some extent.  Doing both loosened it up a fraction, but its still pretty tough, at least compared to my 6940s which is like glass, but still has discernible "notches" so you know it's fully selected.

I did consider swapping out the selector with the BAD-CASS, but I haven't yet decided to do it.  I can't recall if those come with new detents and springs, but I think they do.  It something ill give further thought in the future.

I think I can live with it the way it is now.  It's not optimal, but its not as bad as it was.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Just try a different selector.

Some are just crisp and some are just mushy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just try a different selector.

Some are just crisp and some are just mushy.
View Quote

I don't have a backup full auto selector :/
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]
^ That's actually really interesting from a technical standpoint, but I fail to see its relevance/practical value to my situation.  Am I missing something obvious (perfectly possible, as my head is still buzzing from finishing my research paper)?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Since you were considering one of ours, I pointed out the difference
View Quote

Haha ok, understood.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top