Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2009 5:16:36 AM EDT
How many think a 3 gun set up would be the perfect core to a home defense, self defense, shtf group of guns?
What would make this set up the most practical for real life and competion? What would you use?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:27:56 AM EDT
[#1]
It would be a good start.  I'd favor a can over a muzzle brake on the AR for home defense, but a Limited Division/Tactical Optics type set-up would be good to go.  By shooting 3 gun you will test your equipment/ammo for function and get them zeroed.  Just this will put you leaps and bounds ahead of the mass of shooters.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It would be a good start.  I'd favor a can over a muzzle brake on the AR for home defense, but a Limited Division/Tactical Optics type set-up would be good to go.  By shooting 3 gun you will test your equipment/ammo for function and get them zeroed.  Just this will put you leaps and bounds ahead of the mass of shooters.

I've been thinking about part of that a lot, how much would we stick our necks out by using NFA items for home defense?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The idea of one pistol, one rifle and one shotgun wouldn't necessarily be a bad core grou of weapons for SD but the best? Possibly but not necessarily but honestly its too hard to say because there are way too many variables. "One size" does not fit all when talking about SD weapons.

Now, even assuming a 3 gun assortment was optimum for everybody, some of the dedicated weapons used by a lot of hardcore 3-gunners would not be the best choice. A lot of the handguns used for 3 gun would be next to impossible to CCW with. Some of the shotguns have ridiculously long mag tubes and some of the rifles are geared more towards precision long range shots and are not all that well setup for CQB which is the more likely way an average person would use a rifle for SD.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the division you're shooting for. Production or Tactical, absolutely!! Open or limited, maybe not so much.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Depends on the division you're shooting for. Production or Tactical, absolutely!! Open or limited, maybe not so much.

Yes I definitely meant tactical or irons division.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I definitely meant tactical or irons division.

Then I can't think of a better way to equip yourself and train.

Too many people focus on what gizmos they have or what caliber they're using and don't realize that the most important thing to master is accurate fire while under stress or on the move. Competing in matches is the best way to pursue that goal (IMHO).
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Here's my new 6.8mm AR, I'll be changing my M4'gery some to more closely clone the 6.8.
I also have a Glock 19 and am trying to come up with a plan for a shotgun.
For price and practicality I'm thinking a Remy 870.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
NFA is fine for self defense as long as it is a good shoot.  Having fired rifles indoors while double plugged, a can is your friend.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
NFA is fine for self defense as long as it is a good shoot.  Having fired rifles indoors while double plugged, a can is your friend.

Indoors it sounds like a can on a SBR maybe your friend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top