Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/17/2002 8:23:22 PM EDT
I found some of these today and was wondering
What is the origin of these cartride it seems like it has been around for a long long time but what was it designed for, if you want a 1911 why not just get one in .45 why .38 super?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:37:08 PM EDT
I remember the origins of the .38 super were probably as old as the 1911. Remember, the .45ACP was designed because the .38 didn't have good enough stopping power.

Nowadays, it might be attractive because it's like a more powerful 9mm, with less recoil than .45... I'd like to try one.
Another advantage is 10 rounds in a single stack magazine in a 1911. Drawbacks are that it's not very common.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:02:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15FENCER:

Another advantage is 10 rounds in a single stack magazine in a 1911.

I picked a SIG P-220 in .38Super to get a SIG and a single-stack mag. I've got a laser installed and the new sights but am still screwing around looking for someone to do a trigger job.
This pistol will be my primary carry piece in about four months.

(Now, why the .38 Super ? I had never had one before and just didn't want another .45.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:50:40 PM EDT
1911greg, the .38 super was invented in the Bonnie and Clyde days to be able to penatrate the cars or those days. Its basically a .357 Mag. auto. It is a mean round.
GG
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:00:33 PM EDT
In some countries citizens are not allowed to have guns chambered for military cartriges, thus, if you want a 1911 it can't be a .45 auto. The .38 Super is the next best thing to some, one up to others. While it's popularity is not good here as in other countries it does offer some advantages...
1. You can load it up to "major power factor" for some competitions.
2. As mentioned before, 10 in a single stack is nice, and it's got more "brass" than a 9mm.
3. If your looking to be just a little off the beaten path it's a good choice.
4. If you handload, the same bullets from your 9mm will work (.355"), you can go for accuracy and buy the target bullets made for the .38 Super (.356") and you can push the 115 grain bullets you load for your .357 mag down the tube as well. This offers versatility and the reason to buy plinking bullets for three callibers in one bulk bag.
5. My favorite reason, "Hunny, it was such a good deal I would have hated myself if I didn't buy it,"
Top Top