Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2002 4:13:23 PM EDT
I got bored and decided to shoot my 37mm.  Well, I then decided to use the 12ga adapter that came with it (RPB launcher) so I loaded it up cocked it..took the safety off...fired...and......KABOOM!

The launcher is fine..but the plastic adapter for 12ga flares is split down the length with one of the "fins" broken off and a couple others half off.  The plastic smells burnt also.

The rounds were a "hot" round but I thought that it could handle this....obviously not.  

It really sorta' sucked!  The 12ga flares are cheaper than the 37mm, but if they are going to Kaboom the adapter then I think I will just stick with the 37mm ones.

Anyone else every have this happen?

I don't have a dig cam or I would post pics.

medcop

edited to add:  I just pulled the hull out of the adapter and the hull was split down the side...OUCH!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow,that happend with one of those 12ga flares. I know they are shorter then 2 3/4 shells. I never had a problem...(yet). Know you got me worried.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I was with a buddy of mine, and the same thing happened to us.

Plastic adaptor split right down the middle. I belive he had someone make him a metal adaptor. Works good now!

Av.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of 37mm projectiles are produced for civilians?  How much are the launchers anyway, I'm thinking about getting one down the road if they are that much fun!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What kind of 37mm projectiles are produced for civilians?  How much are the launchers anyway, I'm thinking about getting one down the road if they are that much fun!

The 37mm launcher will cost about $200 or less depending on brand.  The RPB in my opinion is the best on the market at this time.

You can get various color flares, smoke, and parachute flares.

Hey Avalon01.....who made the metal adapter for your buddy?  I would like to look into that!

Firepower...I don't have the box the flares came in, but if I remember they were supposed to be "extra high launching" thus they probably hot a hotter load of powder in them.  

It didn't hurt the launcher at all.  It did however destroy the plastic adapter.  

medcop
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Dam I saw the headline and thought someone had tried to use one of the adaptors to shoot a 12g buckshot round.  No offense MEDCOP, but Ive had that nightmare for awhile, all us 37mm folks need is one time of that and they will ban the launchers also
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:05:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Most of the 37mm flare launcher manufacturers are starting to post warnings about not shooting anything but 37mm flares through their weapons. I know of at least one instance where someone in the Air Force was severely injured shooting bird bombs through one (trying to scare birds away from a runway).

If you ever get the chance to handle a 37mm launcher designed to launch the heavy stuff (like gas, bean bags and the whole host of less-lethal stuff) you will notice that the barrel and action are a lot heavier than those found on "flare launchers." I wouldn't personally shoot anything through a flare launcher except light loaded flares, and even then I'd be a little leery.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I may stick with just 37mm rounds.  I mentioned that I have an RPB Launcher..It is the one with the really heavy barrel not the alluminum barrel that the other models have.  

Heck, the barrel on my RPB is heavier than the 37mm gas gun / less lethal we have at work.

The more I look at the 12ga adapter the more I think it is designed to fail if the round it too "hot."  The plastic fins with the space between them gives an area to "blow out" in case of ammo failure.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Try this they have metal reducers for the 37mm launcher

www.fire-balls.com/catalog.asp?display=3

I just sold my flare launcher and it had the real heavy barrel.. maybe i should have kept it ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top