Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2010 5:12:38 AM EDT
I am looking for a 338 cal barrel for my Garand, I'm going to rechamber it in 338-06 and cut it down to 18"s.
Any got any ideas? I know there is a guy in Erie ,CO who will build it from the ground up In 338, but I would rather get a barrel and have my local gunsmith do it
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:26:42 AM EDT
You might consider having your barrel rebored to the larger caliber. There are gunsmiths out there that do that. Probably a whole lot cheaper than having a 338 barrel machined to Garand contours.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:23:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sailormilan2:
You might consider having your barrel rebored to the larger caliber. There are gunsmiths out there that do that. Probably a whole lot cheaper than having a 338 barrel machined to Garand contours.

I know of NO gunsmiths who bore and rifle barrels. And there is no way that boring and rifling a bbl would be cheaper than machining a blank into an M1 bbl.

With that said, I've built 2 M1 "tankers" @18". It's a real challenge to get the op rod to make that tight bend around the breach diameter of the bbl because it has to be straight under that area, move up and then be straight entering the gas cylinder. It can be done, but it's not easy.

I fully intended (until M1 parts and M1-a parts got so very expensive) to build my next shorty Garand with an M1-a gas system. It would be better, easier and more reliable not to mention less sensitive to ammo. Always thought it would be cool to have one like that.

I was building them back when Blue (or was it Big?) Sky was importing them for about 225 each. I sadly look back now as one of the ones I chopped was an I.H. and then sold it to my friend.

Good luck with your endeavor. Just know it won't be cheap or easy. Also, I'd recomend putting one of the adjustable bleed off gas plugs in, since you'll likely be shooting heavier bullets and have different gas pressure profiles. It'd be a shame to buggar up the op rod that you just payed to have bent properly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:02:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

I know of NO gunsmiths who bore and rifle barrels. And there is no way that boring and rifling a bbl would be cheaper than machining a blank into an M1 bbl.

These guys (http://www.cutrifle.com/reboring.html) do it for around $220. google is your friend.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:05:32 PM EDT
That sounds bad ass.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:11:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FROST18E:

These guys (http://www.cutrifle.com/reboring.html) do it for around $220. google is your friend.

Clearwater Reboring
are good to go. Dealt wit them several times and they make a top notch rebore.

You know, that may just be the ticket for the .358 Winchester M1A I want.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:52:46 PM EDT
.338 Federal is an up and coming cartridge.
Douglas barrels will likely make you a barrel if you are willing to pay.

You will need to use an adjustable gas cylinder plug screw.
No reason this one can't be done if you can find a barrel.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:47:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 12:48:14 AM EDT by bloodsport2885]

Their only promos are a letter that has so many grammatical errors that it might have actually been written by Bigfoot or a letter that appears to have been written by a Nigerian scammer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:19:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bloodsport2885:
Their only promos are a letter that has so many grammatical errors that it might have actually been written by Bigfoot or a letter that appears to have been written by a Nigerian scammer.

Humor. Develop a sense of it.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:31:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Clearwater Reboring
are good to go. Dealt wit them several times and they make a top notch rebore.

You know, that may just be the ticket for the .358 Winchester M1A I want.

To be fair, these are barrle makers that do a little gunsmith work. Not exactly a gunsmith, per se....semantics, I know but.
Barrel making is a specialized task in the extreme.

I stand corrected on the cost, though. I would be surprised if they would guarantee any accuracy level boring and rifling a bbl as thin as a standard M-1 barrel, though

It, truthfully just never crossed my mind to rebore rather than reprofile as profiling one is just not a big deal, once I have it programmed. Plus, I can make it a bit heavier for the larger calibers.

There is also the point that M-1s are very ammo sensitive and would be better served with an M1-a gas system, as I mentioned, when chambered in calibers where the shooter will likely be using a wider variety of ammo.

Good luck persuing your new toys, gents. It's all fun.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:24:43 PM EDT

It, truthfully just never crossed my mind to rebore rather than reprofile as profiling one is just not a big deal, once I have it programmed. Plus, I can make it a bit heavier for the larger calibers.

Not everybody has a CNC lathe.

They can rebore some pretty skinny barrels. I'll get back as to what the lightest contour we've had them do.
Top Top