[#2]

Quoted:
Hi where can I buy thirty round mags? Thanks JC

Man your shoulder is gonna hurt.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
IIRC, Tapco and DSA both sell 'em.

Make sure the one(s) you order are the correct type (inch/metric) for your application.

Personally, I don't favor them.

They're relatively expensive, heavy, and it's hard to find good web gear for them.

They make the low prone position a problem.

OTOH, you can remove your bipod and use them as a monopod.

Big Garand fan here but Patton never shot a FAL.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have more AR platform than FAL platform, but my DSA STG58 IS my GOTO/SHTF weapon...(Ready for AWB sunset to fit it properly)

I am totally against the 30 rounders strictly for weight/size reasons...BUT

They are on my short list of aquisitions JUST to hear 30 rounds of .308 get bump fired if only once....DAMN.....KABOING(read Woody)!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Big Garand fan here but Patton never shot a FAL.

That's true, so we'll never know, for sure, what he thought about the FAL.

The FAL's a great battle rifle, no doubt about it.

That said, one could argue that an as-issued Garand was, and is a more desirable choice than the FAL.

Here's why.  In comparison with the FAL, the Garand has:

Better sights, and longer sight radius.  Much better protected rear sight, too.
Better trigger.
Stronger buttstock (sometimes an impact weapon)
Can always mount a bayonet.
Can use a sling as a shooting aid, thus tightening groups considerably.
Has a op rod handle that allows the shooter positive control of both chambering and extraction.
Always has its cleaning gear stowed in the butt trap, so it's always with the rifle when its needed.
Has a longer barrel, thus increasing range and reducing muzzle flash.

That's just an as-issued M1.  If you want to allow more-or-less customary modifications, we can discuss the merits of the National Match M1 over its FAL counterpart, if any.

No; we'll never know what Patton might have said about the FAL.  But him being an officer who knew his men and their equipment down to the last detail, he might still have chosen an M1, given the choice.

Not meant as a flame, but just wanted to point out a thing or two.

All very good points. Like I said big Garand fan and big Patton fan. Even have a brand spankin new Springfield Garand on order, very excited. Love the kick, the ping of the en bloc so on and so on.  Now allow me to retort.

Don't find the Garand sights to be better than FAL sights, I use para sights.
I would also disagree the Garand has a better sight radius, I will compare soon I'm guessing they are pretty close on a full size FAL. You can indeed use a sling on a FAL, that is all I use. The triggers you are used too must not be DSA, the DSA trigger pull and a as-issued Garand trigger aren't even in the same universe. I have no flash problems on my FAL's and almost no climb. Garand holds 8 rounds, FAL holds 20 or 30. Loading a Garand is a bit cumbersome and will chop your finger off if you're not careful. The stock is heavier and stronger on Garands and M1A's, no argument there. You can get wooden FAL stocks that hold cleaning kits and I don't ever want to be in a bayonet situation. You can get FAL metric parts worldwide and they are generally cheap. We will never know what Patton would have said about the FAL. I would guess he would stick with the Garand as the brass that proceeded him chose the M1A. I love the Garand, I grew up shooting them back in the good old days when people would pay you to take them, man remember those days? Nothing like shooting a Garand but in any combat situation anywhere in the world hot, cold, wet, dry I will opt for a FAL over any rifle, any day. Can't wait to get that Garand though!! There is no national match FAL but national match guns are for old guys who are fat and wear mits to shoot at targets in matches. I would guess a Garand has a bit more range and accuracy at greater distances than the FAL. But up to 500 yds, you can keep the Garand and I will keep my FAL. Anything over 500 yds is work for an '06. You can simply keep your AR's at home, that rifle is a mistake. <ducking for cover>

I love debates over the absolute greatest rifles of all time, it's like arguing whether Farrah Fawcet or Pam Anderson is the hottest girl. We have too much free time.
;)

I have seen a few pics of the trusty old M1A in action in Iraq and we know the Brits begged for FALS in Gulf part one. Maybe the military is waking up.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
All very good points. Like I said big Garand fan and big Patton fan.

Not to hijack the thread BUT...

What ever happened/who was..the soldier he slapped that started the shitstorm on his ass?

I searched and searched but found nothing on it....

Edited to add, funny how you look & look and no find. Then one try and poof...

Newspaper Clipping

Soldier was Pvt. Charles Kuhl, Mishawaka, IN
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
All very good points. Like I said big Garand fan and big Patton fan.

Not to hijack the thread BUT...

What ever happened/who was..the soldier he slapped that started the shitstorm on his ass?

I searched and searched but found nothing on it....

Edited to add, funny how you look & look and no find. Then one try and poof...

Newspaper Clipping

Soldier was Pvt. Charles Kuhl, Mishawaka, IN

Hey that's cool. You gotta love a guy who designs his own uniform.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top