Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 1:36:21 PM EDT
I picked up an M1A Scout and it functions perfect with my 10 and 20 round mags.
I've got a 30 rounder that will stop the bolt from closing on every round that's on the left side of the stack.  It goes like this.....chamber round, fire...fire...jam on round to be fed from left side of mag.  Chamber round, fire...fire...jam on round from left...etc, etc.

Here are some pics of the mag.  You can see how the left round tried to pick up, but it just got pushed forward a little and stopped the bolt in it's tracks.

Can anybody lend some experience here!?

Looked at my other mags and this little lip seems suspicious.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
30 rounders are pretty bad.

looks like the lip is preventing the bullet nose from coming up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Just dump the 30, stick with GI mags. Never heard all that much on decent 30 round M14 mags. Who was the manufacturer of it BTW?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The wrapper said "National Magazines".

Got it new in wrap for $15.  Thought I'd give it a shot, but now I know.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a dremmel tool and grind/ sand the half round notch deeper to match your good mags and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I had the exact same problem with one of six brand-new USGI 20-rounders that I bought from Armalite. I took the last two up to the range for function testing yesterday and one would not feed for squat. I will take a look and see if I have the lip problem as well. But I wanted to chime-in and let others know that it's not only non-USIG mags and non-20-round mags that can have this issue.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#6]
UPDATE!!!

Took my Dremel to the mouth of the magazine a little.  Just rounded things off some and got rid of that lip.

It functions flawlessly now!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#7]
You're lucky. Most non GI mags are absolute junk. If the thirty is working use it. If not, buy GI 20 round mags and avoid the headaches.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:19:42 AM EDT
[#8]
wasnt there some 25 rounder, new mnfg, maybe year ago?  howd they turn out?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top