Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2002 10:47:40 PM EDT
I think I read somewhere that there are chamber inserts that allows you to shoot 308 ammo in a 30-06 chamber... where can I find more information on this?
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:35:06 AM EDT
[#1]
There are, but I would not use one on a rifle I might want to depend on. Believe that's why most folks go this route: www.fulton-armory.com/

extert: "Converting a .30-'06 Garand to .308 does require a barrel change, and a slight modification to the ejector spring (not essential but a prudent thing to do). A spacer block in the mag well (to prevent loading .30-06 cartridges) is a really good idea.
Clint McKee

Mike

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:43:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen an ad in almost every issue of Shotgun News, but couldn't find it in the most recent issue. Google to the rescue.

www.eabco.com/sale8.html has adapters for shooting .22 in .223 or .22-250, 7.62x39 in .308 or .30-'06, and .308 in .30-'06. The insert fire-forms to the chamber and can be removed with a broken shell extractor.

I've never tried one of these, and can't speak for how well they work.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:17:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Years ago the U.S. Navy tried to convert Garands to .308 with the use of a spacer insert.  They were found to be unreliable and the practice was discontinued.

The are outfits around that will rebarrel a Garand for .308 for you, and although more expensive, I think it is the better way to go in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:39:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Having a couple of those 7.62x39 to .308 and .223 to .22's sound like a good idea in SHTF situation. If you find yourself scrounging around for ammo. Your choices are  a whole lot better.

I can't see shooting a weapon very long like that without it malfunctioning though. Perfect for finding a box or two in a survival situation and they wouldn't take up much room in a rucksack either.

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#5]

www.eabco.com/sale8.html has adapters for shooting .22 in .223 or .22-250, 7.62x39 in .308 or .30-'06, and .308 in .30-'06. The insert fire-forms to the chamber and can be removed with a broken shell extractor.

Ebaco's inserts are handy if you want to play with a new caliber before spring for a new barrel, remember that Ebaco's main focus is on Contenders and Encores.  Shell feeding and extraction is a lot more controlled on a single shot.

Fulton's website gets into the Navy rifles where the Navy first tried inserts and had some troubles.  They switched to .308 barrels and problems went away, in a nutshell.

I've had good luck with inserts in Contenders, I wouldn't try one in a semi.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I forgot to say... I am not shooting a M1, I am going to use it in a bolt action...
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I forgot to say... I am not shooting a M1, I am going to use it in a bolt action...

Then you're a bit better off as bolt actions tend to be stronger and the ejection isn't as violent as with a semi-auto. The problem with the inserts is that they sometimes get ejected with the spend cartrige and a semi-auto would slam the next round into a now too large chamber - a bad thing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top