Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2013 7:46:51 PM EDT
I am wanting to do a SBR in 300 blackout and wanting to get a barrel between 8.5" and 10.5". For those of you who do have a 300 blackout what barrels would you recommend? The SBR will be suppressed with a SWR Specwar 762. And does any know who has any 300 blackout barrels in stock?

Pics would be great to see what your 300 blackout SBR look like.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have exactly between 8.5" and 10.5"...  An AAC 9.5".  I do like the size alot.  I don't really know if an inch either way will make any difference.  I have an AAC Cyclone K on it.  Sounds awesome with subs.  My biggest problem right now is getting ammo.  I can't find it anywhere...  If I were doing a build, I would go with a Noveske or Daniel Defense barrel.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I run a 10.5, but would have been happy with either.  Id say your splitting hairs looking for any real diffs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 9" barrel and I run it with an H2 buffer. Cycles subsonics suppressed and unsuppressed very well. As far as length, I don't think the difference between 8.5" and 10.5" will matter too much. Really just your personal preference. The only thing I would recommend is to get a pistol length gas system if you can. I've seen too many issues with carbine length gas systems not wanting to cycle subsonics. I was just shooting some ballistics gel with my 9" upper today, and it was very impressive even at 50 yards, so I think any of the barrel lengths will do well.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Before I switched it to black

AAC 9.5 upper, with SDN-6.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I went with a 9“ aac upper.  I am partial to noveske but the 9 seems to me the best of both worlds, short enough to handle, long enough to get sufficient terminal ballistics ans cycles subs both supressed and unsuppressed
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 7, 9 and a 16 inch. The 7inch makes me , but i prefer shooting my 9inch suppressed and would go with that length if i had to pick one. Both are quiet with subs and work with my sdn-6. I havnt had the chance, but i plan to run the rounds through a chronograph in the future.. that is when i can found powder again to reload some
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 3:11:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have decided to go with a 9'' 300 blackout barrel. Now the next question would be where to buy the barrel, who has them in stock or should just wait and buy a AAC 300 Blackout 9'' upper?
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I would buy an AAC barrel or one of their uppers. This is their cartridge and they build the best .300 Blackout barrels out there.  I started with a 9" and this is what I ended up with.

Link Posted: 4/1/2013 4:36:29 AM EDT
[#10]
The only pic of my 300 AAC I have on my work computer...

I assembled.

10.5" stainless steel barrel with pistol gas. I went with the 10.5" for balance purposes only. The cartridge
was designed to function flawlessly with an 8" with pistol gas and you can go shorter by just opening the port
a tiny bit.

ETA; Info
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 4:57:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine is the 8" Noveske.  I wouldn't have had a problem with the 10.5" barrel (and gained 100 fps) but SBR stands for SHORT Barreled Rifle....

Link Posted: 4/1/2013 5:09:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Look into Houston Armory.  They make a high quality 8" barrel, and I can tell you from experience, it works rather well.  3 of us have their barrels on our SBRs, and they all run perfectly, and very accurate.

DBAR
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Mine is an 8", but i recommend a 10" if you like to use a crush grip with your support hand.  There's just not quite enough handguard on the 8" to be cozy for me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#14]

9" AAC barrel

I put this one together.

Link Posted: 4/1/2013 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#15]
ACC invented/marketed the 300BLK round. They recommend a 9" barrel for an SBR because the velocity and energy gains over 9" are marginal. Essentially the ammo uses very fast burning powder and 9" is plenty to get the most out of the round. Virtually zero difference in performance between 9" and 10.5". So why add extra length to an SBR. The whole point of an SBR is that it is short.

Here is a link to a great pdf PowerPoint presentation put together by the guy who invented the round:
300BLK Everything you need to know about the caliber

That is why I chose the AAC factory MPW 9" complete rifle for my first 300BLK rifle. I paid $1,700 for the rifle, but it comes very well appointed from ACC with a nickel boron bolt carrier, Knights URX III free float rail, nitrided 1/7 barrel, Blackout 51T flashider, Geisselle trigger all standard. I had to get the AAC 762-SDN-6 Suppressor as well of course My dealer just sent out the paperwork today, but i get to shoot it at their indoor range while I wait. I put 100 rounds of subs and supers through it the other day. Flawless. Love how it thumps out the subs with the suppressor.

Link Posted: 4/1/2013 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have decided to go with a 9'' 300 blackout barrel. Now the next question would be where to buy the barrel, who has them in stock or should just wait a buy a AAC 300 Blackout 9'' upper?

Definitely get the complete upper from AAC, it is well made and you will have no issues. I have read of a number of folks who have put them together on their own and have trouble getting them to run properly with subs because of gas port size differences between manufacturers.

There are plenty of them for sale on GunBroker for $1000 to $1300. They come with a Nickel Boron coated bolt carrier as well. ACC invented the round, they know better than anyone how to put that upper together properly.

Link Posted: 4/1/2013 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#17]
My 10.5" Noveske has been 100% with subsonics both suppressed and unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#18]
My 8.5" Noveske.........

Link Posted: 4/1/2013 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I want to thank everyone for your photos and suggestions. I submitted a form 1 for a 9" SBR in 300 blackout last month and your suggestions have helped. NOW to find ammo I do have five more months to find some lol.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 4:27:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I want to thank everyone for your photos and suggestions. I submitted a form 1 for a 9" SBR in 300 blackout last month and your suggestions have helped. NOW to find ammo I do have five more months to find some lol.

If I may be bold, I highly recommend that if you're going to do any amount of shooting in 300 Blackout, invest in reloading.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I may be bold, I highly recommend that if you're going to do any amount of shooting in 300 Blackout, invest in reloading.

I agree with you on reloading but I am not sure what all equipment I will need and where to purchases the items from.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#22]
For reloading you will need a press, dies (for each caliber), powder measure, scale, a way
to prime if your press isn't capable, a trimmer, shell holder (caliber branch specific)gun powder, bullets, cases, a reloading manual(s) (most important),
chamfer/deburrer tool, primer pocket cleaner, and a few other not critical but nice to have parts etc.

If you're waiting on your stamp to come back you have plenty of time to read up on reloading, watch some videos and gather equipment.
I am a fan of RCBS equipment  ut they are not the only game in town, several other great OEM's for reloading equipment like Dillon, Lee and
several others. I tend to stick with one brand to ensure equipment compatibility.

http://www.rcbs.com

Link Posted: 4/2/2013 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Reloading is a great though, but I can't any more find small rifle primers than I can find factory 300BLK loads.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#24]
10.5 noveske barrel.  The suppressor is about 1/8 inch from the larue handguard.  Runs great.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you on reloading but I am not sure what all equipment I will need and where to purchases the items from.

Check out our reloading forum, there is a master 300 BLK thread if you do a search.  Get the ABCs of reloading read that first before getting equipment.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would buy an AAC barrel or one of their uppers. This is their cartridge and they build the best .300 Blackout barrels out there.  I started with a 9" and this is what I ended up with.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/leemozoid/20130301_123214_zps1137a341.jpg

Maybe they build the best, maybe not. Since they won't tell us, we don't even know who makes their barrels.

I do know this though. I have shot my 8.2" Noveske right next to my buddies 9" or whatever AAC, and the Noveske is a better shooter. Hard to beat Noveske. But his shoots well too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Stamp came today.

8.2" Noveske 300BLK, Vltor MUR Upper, DD Lite 7.0 rail, Magpul MIAD grip, Vltor imod stock, BCM BCG, BCM gunfighter CH, Noveske FFL lower, SSA-E trigger.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top