Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2001 4:39:52 PM EDT

I couldnt find a web page but RND manufacturing offers this in the 308 family of calibers including 338 and the new 300WSM.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The receivers are much, much, MUCH thicker than standard. This is important, regardless of what some say, in the upper unit especially. The heavier, longer barrels we use across the course are held in just 0.190 or so wall aluminum alloy in a standard type receiver. Well, the RND 400 (.223) is between 0.355 and 0.285 depending on where you measure. Having more mass around the barrel also helps as the barrel heats. Steel and aluminum expand at different rates, and aluminum expands much faster. The resultant "heat sink" effect has to be a good thing. The .308 receiver also has a super heavy lug at the rear of its receiver, a feature of most need on an AR10-type match rifle.

There's even a screw that angles up and in from lower to upper. This holds the alignment and movement between upper and lower to patently zero tolerance. The security is such that removal of the front pin doesn't affect fit. Pretty amazing. Trigger adjustment is in the receiver itself. More later, but it means that a standard trigger can be fitted and adjusted as well as any of the single stage "match" units. Of course, any aftermarket two-stage can work fine.

You'll also notice the unique hex contour on the upper. As if the rest of the package wasn't distinctive enough, this sets it off unquestionably as an RND product. The upper and lower meld in using this contour, providing a thick shelf, of sorts, for upper and lower.

The machining quality eliminates any question about receiver fit. It's flawless and unstressed. The receivers are machined and bored as a pair. That's why. They're also machined very carefully and precisely, and that's why too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
THE EDGE RIFLES

RND "The Edge" rifles come in three platforms: the 400, which is .223 length; the 800, which is .308 family; and the 2000 which is (gasp) .338 size. Small, medium, large. Looks like the big one will also work with the new 300 Ultra.

There are several options and package parts on The Edge series complete rifles, and they can include a choice of two RND adjustable stocks, a fancy-schmancy laminated stock (very pretty), RND's unique integral buffer system that eliminates the stock extension tube, and carbon fiber barrels.

Lloyd also makes his own bolt carriers for the same reason he does the receivers and other parts: his are better than anyones, and, of course, it's a little tough to find a .338 bolt carrier at a gun show. The gas tubes are another RND product. They're considerably thicker walled (harmonic/stiffness effect) than standard and fit into a steel, not aluminum, gas block: reasons for that are less heat induced expansion, which means less gas leakage.

Other parts are done in house as well, like the forend tube. Actually, it's easier to name what's not made in Longmont -- triggers and magazines.

Color choices abound, and range from Teflon to anodized colors to tricky "fusion" schemes.

It's all extremely good stuff. The design of this stock was geared toward the tactical user, and given that it's very good. It's stronger than a competition style tube stock since it has two posts on the buttplate and mounts to the receiver, well, like an extension of the receiver. The integral buffer allows the cheekpiece to mount lower, again a good thing for scope sight users.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
rich, i hope they change the color on this pimp rifle, or put some hello kitty stickers on it to complete the look
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You tease!

How can you post this and not tell me where to find them???????

Must...  Have...  338...
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Do a search
Google has links that describe it.
No website from them.
Duffypoo-Dude, fer sure that color hurls chips.
If they can do that color then they can make it a more proper color/s.
I would imagine it`s a pricey affait and I dont want to think about getting mags for a 338 or 300wsm.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:11:16 AM EDT
[#5]
A magnum AR?  What a great idea!  When can I get one?
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Magnum AR.  Cool.  Why make it look like a disposable lighter?
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Where's the buf (fer)?
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Where's the buf (fer)?

I reckon its in here.
~~~~~~~~~~~
It's stronger than a competition style tube stock since it has two posts on the buttplate and mounts to the receiver, well, like an extension of the receiver. The integral buffer allows the cheekpiece to mount lower, again a good thing for scope sight users.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#9]
ArmaLite's VP of LE said last June AL's working on an AR10 chambered for the Remington .300 RUSM.  He mentioned that cartridge had a better case design for AL's application.

Want one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Darn it... now I'll have to dig through the magazine pile and see which issue of what magazine these things were in.

Stand by.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:02:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I received the new Guns and Ammo yesterday and they contained a short article on it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Right, G&A had a quick blurb this month, and I tried to search for the company. I got a review of the product/s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top