Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 77
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#1]
He has a thread on 300Blktalk.com in the classifieds where he sells them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By knight_dive:

Have you tried seating a couple dummy rounds at 2.26 to see if they will feed from a magazine? I don't know the Lee bullet profile, but I'm guessing you'll have to load them shorter than that.

I am hoping to cast a few this weekend to see if they'll work.  I've read a couple places that I may still need to get an expanding die to get the bullets into the case mouth without shaving them, but I hope not...  Once I get some bullets cast and seated I'll let you guys know what I find out regarding feeding and such.  I'll try to post my bullet composition as well (lbs of linotype, WW, pure lead, and 50/50 solder mix).  I don't plan on heat treating them, fwiw.

Should I go ahead and anneal my cases before loading them up?  I've read that some guys experienced pretty bad accuracy with their fresh-formed cases without annealing them, but others don't have any issues at all.  That would be a lot of time to anneal a couple hundred cases, and I'm not looking for "cloverleaf group" accuracy out of the thing anyway.  The 230 subs are going to be plinking rounds.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:03:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chevcamo] [#3]
Originally Posted By LeadSlingger:

Ah, well that'd be the reason why I couldn't find it. I had a feeling it was there instead of here, but was half dead when searching.

For those interested. I hope it's allowed if not mod take it off.
http://www.300BLKTALK.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=80842
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey dry flash, have you shot any of the RN loads yet? I know someone else was loading those, but he hasn't shot any either. Curious to see your results in those...
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:49:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chevcamo] [#7]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

Originally Posted By chevcamo:

Ah, well that'd be the reason why I couldn't find it. I had a feeling it was there instead of here, but was half dead when searching.

For those interested. I hope it's allowed if not mod take it off.
http://www.300BLKTALK.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=80842

Are you vz58 at the link you posted?

No. Was gonna post later after I finish ordering other stuff from people on here. On 90% of the forums I'm on my user name is the same.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:21:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chevcamo] [#9]
No. Was gonna post later after I finish ordering other stuff from people on here. On 90% of the forums I'm on my user name is the same.

That link is fine as long as that's not you selling on this forum.

I had to ask.

Okie doke. No problem, I understand. I'm chevcamo on just about all the gun forums I visit and most truck forums too. I think the only one that I'm not chevcamo on is a leatherworking forum and them I'm OSOKS.

ETA: TrooperKbC, don't blame me Dryflash is the one that asked the question , I just answered back. Don't like it, oh well, he's a MOD. BTW, if you look, I shortened the initail quote reply to the last two quotes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:04:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TrooperKbC] [#10]

That link is fine as long as that's not you selling on this forum.

I had to ask.

Okie doke. No problem, I understand. I'm chevcamo on just about all the gun forums I visit and most truck forums too. I think the only one that I'm not chevcamo on is a leatherworking forum and them I'm OSOKS.

Isn't this more of a PM issue? The thread is going to become way too long and chaotic. It really needs to be split up or have it's own "300BLK" subfolder within "Reloading".

-----------------------------------

I'm also wondering about shooting RN. I see Midway has plenty 200 gr RN, but I didn't want to spend $40 and have feeding problems.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I have loaded 180 gr RN bullets successfully. OAL is important.
Go to page 1 of this thread and read my post on how to figure out the OAL for any bullet.

those are cute..
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Need some advice on Barnes 100 gr. Tac-TX bullets before I waste more money.....

I loaded up 10 at recommended OAL with 19 gr. of Lil Gun. Accuracy was abysmal as in 3 inches at 50 yards. I am running an 8.5" Rainier barrel that is 1/8 twist.

The load manual listed a 110 at 19.5 gr minimum and 20 as max but 20 would nearly be to the top of the neck with the converted LC brass I am making.

Question is, are any of you guys getting good accuracy with this bullet with a similar barrel and what is your load?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:25:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#14]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:06:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coolcat312] [#16]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Anyone seen dies in stock?  Due to the panic I can't find the last few parts I need to finish my .300, thought I would work up a couple of loads.  Plenty of brass in the basement, can't find any dies.

I ordered mine from Lee's web site. www.leeprecision.com

EDIT
Sorry, I guess they are sold out now too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:35:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#17]

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/

View Quote

All I have ever used is H-110 with the 110 gr Tac-tx. I only use Lil'Gun with 125 gr bullets and heaver.

I have a 16 inch barrel and only shoot super sonic. That's all that interests me if you want to know why.

Try some H-110, I get very good results with it. I use 20.0 grs which I worked up to. OAL 2.250.

If your not annealing your cases, that can also have an effect on accuracy.

I have some 296 that IIRC is almost identical to the H-110. I will have to try that and see what happens.

I am making my brass from virgin LC .556 brass and after the forming the annealing from the factory is just below the shoulder. I didn't figure I needed to do it again on the first firing but may tinker with it just to see.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone seen dies in stock?  Due to the panic I can't find the last few parts I need to finish my .300, thought I would work up a couple of loads.  Plenty of brass in the basement, can't find any dies.

http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Whisper-Custom-Reloading-Series/dp/B007TNXFM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361052013&sr=8-1&keywords=300+blackout+dies
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:

http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Whisper-Custom-Reloading-Series/dp/B007TNXFM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361052013&sr=8-1&keywords=300+blackout+dies

Usually ships in 1 to 2 months

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Last week I got a set of RCBS  from midway
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By knight_dive:
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:

Usually ships in 1 to 2 months

Holy Crap I didn't even see that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RibSpreader] [#22]
Need some reassurance on trim-to length.  I have been trimming (Lyman manual trimmer wearing me out) to 1.363 - 1.368, generally around 1.365.  From everything I have gathered, this length is acceptable.

I finally got some Lee case length gauges for the 300 BLK, just used it with the zip trim on the first case, and it came out around 1.352.

New Hornady book states trim length is 1.39, Hogdon's site states 1.363.

Too much variation here for me, especially since I'm new to reloading 300 BLK.

Can anyone give me a range for "go, no-go" or provide any tips on what is "good enough"?  The zip trim is much quicker so I'd like to stay with it if 1.352 is not a problem.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By RibSpreader:

Need some reassurance on trim-to length.  I have been trimming (Lyman manual trimmer wearing me out) to 1.363 - 1.368, generally around 1.365.  From everything I have gathered, this length is acceptable.

I finally got some Lee case length gauges for the 300 BLK, just used it with the zip trim on the first case, and it came out around 1.352.

Can anyone give me a range for "go, no-go" or provide any tips on what is "good enough"?  The zip trim is much quicker so I'd like to stay with it if 1.352 is not a problem.

According to AAC's site 300aacblackout.com, the case length should be the following:

• Case length is 1.368 +0.000 -0.020

I've been trimming mine to 1.355, but you *can* go as far down as 1.348 and still be in spec.  At 1.352, you're good to go.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By rob99rt:

Originally Posted By RibSpreader:

According to AAC's site 300aacblackout.com, the case length should be the following:

• Case length is 1.368 +0.000 -0.020

I've been trimming mine to 1.355, but you *can* go as far down as 1.348 and still be in spec.  At 1.352, you're good to go.

If it means anything:  I order some primed factory brass through Midway and pre-loading it was all 1.360"  

I loaded it WITHOUT a trip through the sizing die.

Through a Wilson brand 16" barrel and using Win. 296 powder and 180s (supersonic) it all shrank slightly on the 1st firing.  I trim to 1.360" when making brass from 5.56 cases.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#26]

I'm working on getting a 300Blk bolt rifle together and in the meantime while I'm waiting for parts I have been converting cases and loading up some starting loads to work up from. I have been looking for a good starting point for some 208gr AMAX bullets I picked up for use as a subsonic round. I'm thinking of using the 220gr data and working up (or down) from there until I find a sweet spot that is subsonic and reasonably accurate. I have Lil Gun powder and w296 to work with at the moment.
220's call for about 9gr of Lil gun...I could safely start there and work up since the 208's are a bit lighter. But that also has the potential of being sonic, so i mayhave to actually work down from 9gr of powder. I could start lower and work toward the 9gr(or until I break the sonic threshold). I just don't want to start too low and cause other problems.

Since these are for a bolt rifle, i don't have to be concerned with cycling issues....so if anyone has worked on a load for the 208's that had accuracy potential, but was dismissed due to cycling issues that could chime in, I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Hawcer:

I'm working on getting a 300Blk bolt rifle together and in the meantime while I'm waiting for parts I have been converting cases and loading up some starting loads to work up from. I have been looking for a good starting point for some 208gr AMAX bullets I picked up for use as a subsonic round. I'm thinking of using the 220gr data and working up (or down) from there until I find a sweet spot that is subsonic and reasonably accurate. I have Lil Gun powder and w296 to work with at the moment.
220's call for about 9gr of Lil gun...I could safely start there and work up since the 208's are a bit lighter. But that also has the potential of being sonic, so i mayhave to actually work down from 9gr of powder. I could start lower and work toward the 9gr(or until I break the sonic threshold). I just don't want to start too low and cause other problems.

Since these are for a bolt rifle, i don't have to be concerned with cycling issues....so if anyone has worked on a load for the 208's that had accuracy potential, but was dismissed due to cycling issues that could chime in, I'd appreciate it.

For a bolt gun you have the option to use faster powders on subsonics. The benefits are more consistent velocities and less noise suppressed or not. A load of 10.5g of AA#7 with a 220g bullet is just around 1000 f/s, 7.5g of AA#5 behind the same bullet will run about 1050 f/s.

If you want a fun and quiet load pick up some Hornady XTP 30 Caliber (309 Diameter) 90 Grain JHPs. Start with 5 grains of trail boss then adjust the powder charge until you have no sonic crack. These are like shooting 22 CB shorts in a 22 rifle, very quiet and they expand on game at 1000 f/s. They will put a smile on your face.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#28]

If you want a fun and quiet load pick up some Hornady XTP 30 Caliber (309 Diameter) 90 Grain JHPs. Start with 5 grains of trail boss then adjust the powder charge until you have no sonic crack. These are like shooting 22 CB shorts in a 22 rifle, very quiet and they expand on game at 1000 f/s. They will put a smileon your face.

Sounds like a great close range pest control round...I know what I'm shopping for on the next trip out for supplies
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Looking for a starting point for 110 vmax loads. Powders on hand are RE 7, RE 15, and A1680. Does anyone have any reliable loads for these combinations?
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:08:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fat_McNasty] [#31]

Looking for a starting point for 110 vmax loads. Powders on hand are RE 7, RE 15, and A1680. Does anyone have any reliable loads for these combinations?
Too slow burning.

AA-1680 maybe, all I have used for the 110 gr bullets is H-110.

ive used 1680 on the 110's and it worked great. Ill check how much I used tonight when i get home...

my brain is going.. went back and checked and it was h110 that I used. 20.0 grains.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 11:07:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#32]
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey guys,

So I finally have my dillon 650 set up to load up some blackouts for my pistol (on its way to be an SBR, in 6-8 months). I am still waiting on bullets though. I ordered a some 147 grain pulled bullets a while back I'm still waiting on, since it looks like they will be nice economical plinking rounds.

I am ordering my SN762 suppressor this week (so it'll probably be christmas when I get it ). I'd like to go ahead and start aquiring some economical subsonic bullets since I wanna enjoy subsonic shooting. Is there such an animal as a "cheap" subsonic bullet? Seems like the Sierra Match Kings are a popular option, but ~$.50 a round from midway is pretty pricey. Or am I just spoiled from using pulled bullets?

Any ideas? I don't hunt or anything, I just want something fun to shoot at paper at maybe 200 yards max. Probably 50-100 yds most of the time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 9:06:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonblack] [#34]
The cheapest (maybe not the best) route is to use cast bullets with a user serviceable suppressor. I don't believe the 762-SDN-6 is not user serviceable. Have you read anything about certain bullets coming apart when using the can?

jonblack

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I use Speer 125gr TNTs for cheap reloads, they run around $0.22 per projectile.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 9:54:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#36]

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/ click on the 300 blk bar.

No data for 110 gr bullets with AA-1680.

Using AA-1680 in other loads I noticed all my loads were compressed.

So I'm thinking this powder is not suitable with 110 bullets, and that's why Accurate doesn't list loads for it.

Voice of experience Fat_McNasty?

Maybe you know something I don't?

Ok, I see you edited your post.

Thanks for checking. Just to confirm... H110 is the same as 296? I haven't seen any 110 in my local shop but they do stock 296.

Yes, H-110 = W-296.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:19:25 AM EDT
[#37]
for you guys who are reloading with the heavy cast lead boolits, how fast are you pushing them?

with a gas check?

or without a gas check?

If you are shooting them through a muzzle can, how badly does the can get leaded up?

I looked at the little black plastic ammo can my Speer bullets came in.  They are the 125 grainers in their TNT line.  I went back to Graf's dealer's website and it looks like I got them for 17 cents each.  I was shocked SHOCKED! to see a whole bunch of stuff out of stock.      
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:39:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By psbarger:
Hey guys,

So I finally have my dillon 650 set up to load up some blackouts for my pistol (on its way to be an SBR, in 6-8 months). I am still waiting on bullets though. I ordered a some 147 grain pulled bullets a while back I'm still waiting on, since it looks like they will be nice economical plinking rounds.

I am ordering my SN762 suppressor this week (so it'll probably be christmas when I get it ). I'd like to go ahead and start aquiring some economical subsonic bullets since I wanna enjoy subsonic shooting. Is there such an animal as a "cheap" subsonic bullet? Seems like the Sierra Match Kings are a popular option, but ~$.50 a round from midway is pretty pricey. Or am I just spoiled from using pulled bullets?

Any ideas? I don't hunt or anything, I just want something fun to shoot at paper at maybe 200 yards max. Probably 50-100 yds most of the time.

id look at the hornady 225gr bt-fmj.  They are a little cheaper and work great for me.  But nothing is cheap in subsonic range.  I wont use lead through my can.  Ive already filled a 22 can up pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Just worked this up this morning...

Rifle Used- AR-15 (M16 bolt carrier, Carbine buffer, wolf reduced power action spring)
Barrel Maker, Contour, Gas Length/Port Size (if known)- Wilson Combat 16" combat match barrel, carbine gas length, port 0.75
Barrel Length and Twist 16, 1 in 8"
Magazine Brand/Size GI
Bullet Used (grain, manufacturer, type) Hornady 208 Grain AMax
Powder Charge and Brand AA-1680 10.8 grains
Case Used Formed LC brass
Primer Used CCI small rifle
COAL 2.22"
Chronograph Velocity @ 45 degrees F. Speed of sound at that temp is 1101 fps
Any issues or problems- Functions flawlessly, and always locks the bolt back after last shot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By KarlRichter:
for you guys who are reloading with the heavy cast lead boolits, how fast are you pushing them?

with a gas check?

or without a gas check?

If you are shooting them through a muzzle can, how badly does the can get leaded up?

I looked at the little black plastic ammo can my Speer bullets came in.  They are the 125 grainers in their TNT line.  I went back to Graf's dealer's website and it looks like I got them for 17 cents each.  I was shocked SHOCKED! to see a whole bunch of stuff out of stock.      

I push 230 and 247 gr cast around 1000fps give or take with out a gas check.  I do not have any leading issues to speak of with that, however I do get boolit lube in the can.  With 155gr and lighter cast with gas check pushing 1700- 2100fps I do seem to get some leading on the first blast baffle in my can that cleans off relatively easily

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 12:43:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonblack] [#41]
Originally Posted By garyd: With 155gr and lighter cast with gas check pushing 1700- 2100fps I do seem to get some leading on the first blast baffle in my can that cleans off relatively easily

garyd

What kind of suppressor are you using that is user serviceable?

jonblack
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By jonblack:
Originally Posted By garyd: With 155gr and lighter cast with gas check pushing 1700- 2100fps I do seem to get some leading on the first blast baffle in my can that cleans off relatively easily

garyd

What kind of suppressor are you using that is user serviceable?

jonblack

Sorry i should have specified that
It is a form 1 can i built with a lot of guidance and patience from a machinist friend of mine, on his equipment.  It has a 3 1/2+/- initial blast chamber and then a 6 inch baffle stack inside a slightly smaller tube.  It was built for my 9mm AR SBR and has worked very well for the 300 blk.  I just wish I would have made it 8 inches in length instead of 10.  i made it knowing it was going to get a lot of cast boolits through it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I would like to get a compilation of bench rest test results with the .300BLK. Please list your load, host weapon, and best grouping over distance. Ill go first.

Load
Sierra matchking 135g hpbt
16.6g lilgun
Mix and match .223/5.56 converted to .300 BLK
Cci no.400 small rifle primers

Host
Dpms upper, dpms bcg, wilson combat 1-8twist ss match .300blk, Juggernaut tactical cqb brake

Best group
Around 5in. @ 100 yards. Will reaffirm these results this weekend and update.

Update,  Ive recently learned pre-fire formed cases wont be as accurate, but should i expect to jump from 5moa to 1 moa from this? Also im not annealing yet, but what  does it do? Only thing i can think of is increase neck tension but for that matter could you use a fcd instead for the same results?
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By richiemfmead:

Update,  Ive recently learned pre-fire formed cases wont be as accurate, but should i expect to jump from 5moa to 1 moa from this? Also im not annealing yet, but what  does it do? Only thing i can think of is increase neck tension but for that matter could you use a fcd instead for the same results?

What was the shape of the group? Vertical string? Small group with a few flyers? One big ugly group? Once we know this we can guess at what is causing your poor accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#45]
At 50 yards, first 3 were within a 3in, kinda triangle shaped, the next shot was up and left, about 5in high 5 in right, the next was 5in low 3 in right. Like Ill have some that will go dead smack nuts where I am my red dot (aimpoint comp ML3 2moa dot) the next will wing off to god knows where.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#46]
At 50 yards, first 3 were within a 3in, kinda triangle shaped, the next shot was up and left, about 5in high 5 in right, the next was 5in low 3 in right. Like Ill have some that will go dead smack nuts where I am my red dot (aimpoint comp ML3 2moa dot) the next will wing off to god knows where.

Sounds like a random grouping. That big a group @ 50 yards makes me think it is a lose scope. Given the good equipment you have and the good load components getting a group that big tells me something is lose. Could be the scope, could even be the barrel if not torqued properly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Barrel nut torqued to 55ft.lbs, aimpoint mounted in bobro qd mount.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Rich_V:

Sounds like a random grouping. That big a group @ 50 yards makes me think it is a lose scope. Given the good equipment you have and the good load components getting a group that big tells me something is lose. Could be the scope, could even be the barrel if not torqued properly.

I wanna agree with this...with one exception...all things being equal of course.  If your equipment is right quite possibly the shooter may be at fault.  Not trying to be rude or anything.  But 3 inches at 50 is not good.

I will add this though...I don't hold a lot of faith in the Bobro mounts.  There have been problems with them reported before.

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Seems rock solid best i can tell. To minimize shooter error im shooting from a bench, with bipod, smooth steady trigger squeeze (chip mccormick 3.5lbs glass break trigger, best ive ever felt), shots only at bottom of breath pause. Stock nice and tight to my shoulder. I can hit golf balls all day at 100 yards with my bull barrel .22. Maybe I should try factory rounds and see how they group? Whats the finest shooting .300blk ammo on the market? Surely the accuracy issue isnt from barrel length right?
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Seems rock solid best i can tell. To minimize shooter error im shooting from a bench, with bipod, smooth steady trigger squeeze (chip mccormick 3.5lbs glass break trigger, best ive ever felt), shots only at bottom of breath pause. Stock nice and tight to my shoulder. I can hit golf balls all day at 100 yards with my bull barrel .22. Maybe I should try factory rounds and see how they group? Whats the finest shooting .300blk ammo on the market? Surely the accuracy issue isnt from barrel length right?

Barrel length is not an issue, barrel quality is. Check the barrel crown and look for any rough spots or dings. If it looks OK then I'll guess you messed up your loads some how. Trying some factory ammo will eliminate the loads as your problem. Any factory ammo should group to 1-2 inches @ 50 yards. Buy supersonic loads for your test, subsonic can be less accurate.
Page / 77
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top