Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 1:37:58 PM EDT
So which one is best and why? Does one offer something over another? I need to buy a new Shotgun. More than likely the 870 express synthetic 18". This seems to bee the most cost effective. Put a 2 shot extension on it. Maybe a Knoxx spec ops stock so the wife can shoot it more comfortably.

What do you think?

Thanks

Todd
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy the 870HD (home defense) model. Comes with a factory extension. It's not listed by Remington but they exist. That's what mine is. If you can't find one of those then go with a Vang or a Wilson extension depending on how much you want to spend. But, if you go that route you have to mess with the dimples.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I got and 870 HD and put a wilson 2 round extention on it. which also comes with a Wolf Spring and their follower which is much better than the factory.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I got and 870 HD and put a wilson 2 round extention on it. which also comes with a Wolf Spring and their follower which is much better than the factory.

I wouldn't say the extension is better but the spring and follower probably are.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#4]
The main concern when adding a magazine extension is the thread engagement.
The 90 degree flat threads on the end of the magazine tube (connected to the receiver) need to be utilized along their entire exposed length.
Remington factory, Vang, and Wilson/Scattergun (and some others) have the provision for sling attachment farther past the junction (forward).
Positively avoid any sling provision that acts like a "washer" between magtube and the extension.
There are too few threads remaining to secure the extension.
The threaded portion was initially designed to merely hold a cap, and not an extension. There are enough threads to do the job, but just enough. You will also note that the factory extension has a clamp assembly to further reinforce the connection.
You do not have to run a clamp assembly with Vang/Wilson/Scattergun if it is on nice and tight.
One more thing- On a Remington factory extended magazine shotgun, a captive detent is installed on the magazine ring installed on the barrel. The 870 Express etc. has the hole for the detent, it is just not installed. You can purchase the detent and spring from Brownells and install it yourself. It really will make a difference.
Remington used that plastic ratchet spring endcap to prevent the metal domed endcap from rotating loose, but once you forego that assembly, you really should install the detent.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I apprecate the reply's so far. I just got the nod for the new shotgun and I will be ordering one in the next few days. I hope.  I will certainly look at the 870HD as an option. What is the cost difference between the HD and the Express? Is it the same as the 870P HD?

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well, I apprecate the reply's so far. I just got the nod for the new shotgun and I will be ordering one in the next few days. I hope.  I will certainly look at the 870HD as an option. What is the cost difference between the HD and the Express? Is it the same as the 870P HD?

Same price.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Wilson............
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wilson............

Ditto.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
tag. thanks for asking so i didn't have to....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a Wilson +2 and it seemed like it was built well and it functioned just fine.  However, looking at how thin the mag tube is, I'd suggest a barrel clamp if you planned on any rough use at all.  It wouldn't take too much of a blow to the end of the mag tume to damage it, and that would require a costly trip back to Remington (or a repair center) to fix.  If you modified your gun by removing the dimples, Remington might not want to deal with your gun.  I believe Uncle Mikes makes a clamp.  Of course, so does Remington.

I currently have a Wilson +1 which I'll be selling and replacing with a factory Remington +2 (with the factory clamp).
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Off to the store I go. Wish me luck. I will report back later.

Flamethrower, out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, here is the deal. My shop was out so I ordered one. 870HD with the 2 shot extension and 18" barrel, synthetic stock. Before tax $259. Woot!

I also ordered the Knoxx Spec-ops stock today along with the grip sleve and overmold fore end.

Have to order a sling next. I like the 15 shell Blackhawk sling, and only $15.

Where can I get a 6 shot sidesaddle for cheap?

Where can I find good inexpensive flashlight mounts and flashlights that won't break the bank??
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#13]
870 HD $269.99 at the Market Hall gun show in Dallas today.  I got mine!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top