Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 7:51:29 PM EDT
i have a remington 7400 in .280 is it ok to shoot a .270 round thru it?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
quick answer - i dont think so. give me a second to add more.

added:

www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.280remington.html

.280 has a bullet diamter of .284

www.chuckhawks.com/270family.htm

.270 has a bullet diamter of .277

that alone tells me you shouldnt do it. common sense also says it wont work and will have problems. but i really dont know anything about these cartridges so im sure someone else will come along.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't try it. I have a box of 280 you can have.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
No, DON't do it.

Not only is the bullet diameter different, but the case shoulder is further towards the rear on the .270. You will have excessive headspace if you loaded a .270 Win. round in a .280 Rem. chamber.

The rifle will probably fire. But with the much smaller bullet you'll get terrible accuracy as it won't be properly fitted and stabilized in the bore. You'll also split open the case. This could damage the gun and/or the shooter.

It's always a bad idea to shoot ammo that is differently marked than what the gun says. Although there are a few cartridges that have more than one name. The .280 Remington is one of these. The round was known for a while as the 7mm Remington Express. The 6mm Remington was also known once-upon-a-time as the .244 Remington.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#4]
You put it in and pull the trigger and it will go bang.
But accuracy will suck, velocity is compromised, and it's generally a dangerous proposition.

You can also put .44 Mag loads into a modern .45 Long Colt revolver and shoot it, but it it ain't a good idea either.  Use the right ammo, otherwise you're competeing for the Darwinism Award.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

you'll blow you and your gun up!

and don't shoot the .270 out of the .280 just becuase you can
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No! Don't even try!
Your gun, your face and your fingers will thank you for it. There is a great potential for injury even though you may know someone that pulled a stunt like this and got away unscathed. It is reckless and dangerous.

If someone else led you to believe that you can do this, you might wanna go back to this person and ask him why he hates you so much.

It would be wise to make sure and keep those .270s and .280s shells well separated so they never get mixed up when loading your rifle.

Your on your own from here on
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top