Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 6:43:01 PM EDT
Here's the question. I have a 22lr suppressor and am getting a kit to shoot 22lr through my 5.56/.223 barreled AR15. Would there be a problem with baffle strikes with my 22lr suppressor on my .223?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:53:10 PM EDT
As long as the threaded barrel is concentric to the bore you should be fine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:11:42 PM EDT
Id worry about the twist rate causing some bullet yaw and striking a baffle. That said, i dont really know what a faster twist rate does to stabilization. Maybe do some close range tests on paper without the suppressor and make sure you have perfect holes. I had a conversion kit and found it to be very inacccurate. sold it and went to a dedicated upper. i run a can on that often and have had no problems.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:49:30 PM EDT
Yeah I've run it on my dedicated .22 ar upper fine but just got done building a ar pistol in 556 and was going to throw a conversion in there to save money and shoot 22 but my first thought was don't chance it... its not worth screwing my suppressor up.

I guess I was wondering if anyone braver then I tried it with success.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:07:30 PM EDT
wouldn't the .22 foul up the can? assuming your 5.56 can is sealed / non serviceable
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:24:23 AM EDT
I hadn't thought much about twist rates on such an idea until now, but the rate on most .223/5.56 barrels is half the twist ratio of dedicated .22's. Personally, I'd shoot a few test loads to test for key-holing or other problems at 20 feet, and give it a shot. Perhaps I'm a bit more adventurous, but I've never had a baffle strike yet by just being cautious by testing out a few rounds right off the bat.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:11:04 AM EDT
It's a user serviceable one and I clean it as much as I can to keep it from getting too nasty. Yeah I'll have to do some tests when I get the conversion maybe it will work perfect. Being as its a 7.5 barrel pistol it might be fine then again that might make matters worse but can only find that out from testing.
Top Top