Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2003 3:02:51 PM EDT
Has anyone seen these on gun store shelves? They look like an interesting item to use while varmint hunting with my .308. There wouldn't be much left after I hit a Pdog with my .308, but the 22 Accelerator my tone things down some. Anyone ever use these? How did they work?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Aimless,

I wasn't sure if they were either. I just saw them in the Cartridges of the World, Eigth edition. They looked like an interesting thing to try out.

I'll keep my eye out, and see what I can find, if anyone is interested. I doubt they'll be a frequent purchase if they are still around. They probably cost more than cheap .308 as it is.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Has anyone seen these on gun store shelves? They look like an interesting item to use while varmint hunting with my .308. There wouldn't be much left after I hit a Pdog with my .308, but the 22 Accelerator my tone things down some. Anyone ever use these? How did they work?

Thanks!

I've used factory loads, and I've rolled my own. They are horribly, horribly, HORRIBLY inaccurate. Even the Finnish military couldn't get them to work. P-dogs pretty well vaporize when they're hit with anything that has some velocity to it. If you want a good varmint round for the .308, that won't completely disintegrate what you're firing at, try some 110 grain round nose bullets. Recoil is negligible, and they shouldn't splatter the dogs too badly.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Robar,

The only problem with me using 110 grain rounds is that I don't "roll my own" just yet. I'll have to wait a while to get to that point. Now, if there was a commercially available 110 grain .308, I'd grab a few of them up.

But I'll be sure to keep that in mind for when I start to reload. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I've uses the Accelerator rounds in 30-06. the accuracy was similar to what I got with 30 cal bullets. (same size group but to a different point of aim s you would expect with a different bullet weight. If you can only have one gun, forget these and buy another gun.

Kurt
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Remington makes, and acc for the .30-30 and the .30-06.  I dont think that they make one for the .308, but you could load you own.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the tips, guys, but a press is a little while down the road. Now that I know I can get started for around $100-150 (that includes EVERYTHING I need to load for one caliber????), I'l start saving. But a large protion of my money will have to go towards a scope and some fixin' up on my gun first.

However, once I can afford to get started, you can get your you-know-what that I will pick up the stuff and get going.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top