Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 5/17/2002 7:57:05 AM EST
I am wondering if a hollow point 223 will give adequate penetration or if it will just make a large but shallow wound has anyone done any hunting with the wolf 55gr hollow points? I have them loaded up for home defense, good idea?
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:05:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/17/2002 8:35:43 AM EST by mr_wilson]
FYI, There is an Ammunition forum for questions like this w/ an ammo fac attached to the top of the forum which will more than likely answer your question.

Mike

PS - make mine for home the 64 grn. Win PP and PP+
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:33:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By 1911greg:
I am wondering if a hollow point 223 will give adequate penetration or if it will just make a large but shallow wound has anyone done any hunting with the wolf 55gr hollow points? I have them loaded up for home defense, good idea?

There are so many variables here I don't know where to begin.

Which hollowpoint? What weight? What barrel length?

Drop this question into the ammo forum and we'll getcha all the answers!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:41:30 AM EST
In the 5.56 Performance FAQ at the Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site we have a table on the penetrative capabilities of many HP & SP rounds (as well as FMJ) in calibrated 10% Ballistic Gelatin (courtesy of the IWBA Journal). In general the most HP rounds don't penetrate enough - and of those that do - most of them don't fragment or expand (i.e. they are 'match rounds').

Also note the table has values fired from a carbine (16") - 20" should be a bit more.

Check out the table here:
communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/556performance.msnw

Read a bit further into the FAQ and you will find a list of rounds that are recommended for LEO use - also note several of these don't expand even though they are Hollowpoints...
Top Top