Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2002 7:54:39 AM EDT
In nastez they sell these rounds mad by S&B what advantages do they have over normal FMJ's the normal FMJ's already go thru everything!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#1]
For one they are surprisingly accurate for a factory loading in barrels up to and including 1 in 9"s. They have the evil but cool green paint on them and they can go thru 3/8"s of steel that I have tried. There's nothing magical about them that's for sure.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
In nastez they sell these rounds mad by S&B what advantages do they have over normal FMJ's the normal FMJ's already go thru everything!

Two places you'll want to check.

The first one is AR15.com FAQ Ammo page

read about the difference between M193 (55 grain FMJ) and M855/SS109 (62 grain with the steel penatrators.  There are some differences in regards to velocity and distance.

The second one, "Kaboom right before my eyes may interest you about S&B ammo
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I would buy WOLF before I would ever touch S&B. You need to look at S&B history. They are not a consistent round at all. Different seating depths of each round in the box, OVERPRESSURES, UNDERPRESSURES.  GO Looking for the stories. I have about 15 Kaboom stories from S&B ammo.

WOLF makes a very decent 62 gr round go to their site and their is a write up from in a magazine on their site.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
i have shot thousands of rounds of S&B and find their SS109 to be second ONLY to LC/IMI which i consider to be tied for first. it is not copper washed steel, ive never seen a split case ever, and its more accurate than most. the only S&B ive ever had a problem with was some 28ga i was shooting in a sporting clays sub-gauge event. underloaded crap. i have heard that the S&B 55gr is crap from people i trust. but i can say with confidence that their SS109 is good to go.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:28:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Ditto what DvlDog says, I too have not found any problem w/ the S&B SS109 rounds.

Has anyone had a chance to try the new Olympic SS109 (62grn. steel penetrator) rounds Eric has now? www.ammoman.com/

I ordered 1K and would be interested I any feedback on these rounds.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:13:46 AM EDT
[#6]
My son saw what the round would do in Kosovo and Macedonia. He wanted me to send him anything but those, knowing of course I couldn't. He said it was like hitting someone with an ice pick. They sometimes don't know it. However, on steel targets in the back forty, they are ok. On the border here, the Patrols use a different round.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I read that green berets in somalia complained that the ss-109 penetrator round would do just that, penetrate right through a person doing minimal damage forcing many follow up shots to bring a man down.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah, yeah..we all read that in "blackhawk down"  for starters they were shooting it out of short barrels. at 300+m out of a short barrel its just a hyper velocity 22lr. also you need to figure in the the resistance to change exhibited by the common soldier/Marine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 3:09:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My son saw what the round would do in Kosovo and Macedonia. He wanted me to send him anything but those, knowing of course I couldn't. He said it was like hitting someone with an ice pick. They sometimes don't know it. However, on steel targets in the back forty, they are ok. On the border here, the Patrols use a different round.

If it is not too much to ask can you explain all this, specifically who is shooting who with M855 and who is conducting patrols with "a different round"
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn, my IMI green tip penetrators are frigging accurate; amazingly so.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#11]
STLRN, as to who is shooting who, I 'm not there. as to here (read that US) on patrol the Border Patrol use Winchester and Federal in my neck of the woods. If you are near Bragg, my son left there (82nd) for Korea (2nd Inf. one year) and is now in Europe (two years). Hope to have him home in a couple. He (an SSgt) and his wife (Sgt) are stopping at 8 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top