Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2003 6:12:44 AM EDT
Yesterday, a friend came over for a barbecue and a little shooting. He had a new, unfired 20g fully rifled slug barrel with iron sights to break in. We set up the first target off my back deck at a lasered range of 33 yds.

The slugs keyholed at this range! All 5 shots impacted sideways in the target. He had 2 different lots of Hybreds, a 2 yr and 1 yr old box. Both did this. As expected, accuracy wasn't great, with 1 shot kicking out 5 inches left at 33 yds, another kicking right. Mickey also had a box of 20 g Winchester partitions, which shot perfectly, ROUND holes nearly touching.

Nearly all feedback I've come across, and my own fairly extensive experience with 12 g Lightfields have been very positive. Accurate, and a pile of deer in the ol' freezer.

What gives with the 20s? Any other 20 g Lightfield users out there; is this a fluke?

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
SP10, I have no personnel experience with Lightfield slugs but have heard nothing but good about them. It's the same old story with these shotguns and slugs, you have to feed them what they like. MIKE.

Edited to add: Have you ever tried slugs out of that cannon of yours?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Slugs out of my SP-10? I shoot my brother's Ruger #1H Tropical .458WM with 510 gr SPs when I'm in the mood for abuse

Actually, I'm sure recoil wouldn't be that bad, but you don't often see 10g slugs. I think Federal still makes some. I think the Ithaca RoadBlocker 10g was designed with slugs and buck in mind.

Update on the 20g Lightfields...my friend called Lightfield and talked to a technician. They were stumped, but did say Hastings made some barrels for Remington which have different twist rates, which may account for the destabilization. My friend, who works at a local gunshop, mailed LF a couple boxes of the offending slugs.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#3]
SP, Federal offers 1 3/4 OZ 10 gauge foster slugs and a 18 pellet 00 buck load. Winchester offers the same 18 pellet 00 buck load but also a 54 pellet #4 buck load. 54 pellets! Holy Shit! Up close that would be a devastating load.

20 Years ago while in the Police Academy I saw a film about the Road Blocker. Some Police Department from out west had a car mounted on railroad tracks going fifty miles an hour. An Officer steps in the path of the car a puts five shots into the engine of the car. The car kept on coming and the Officer got the F out of the way. What was that thing they taught us in school? Something about a body in motion stays in motion? Or something to that effect. Well the Officer in question must have missed that class! MIKE.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, that does it. I am curious about shooting slugs in the ol' 10 now....Gee, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
SP10, Your welcome. If I am spending my grandchildren's inherence why should you be any different. MIKE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top