Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2001 6:30:12 PM EDT
Need to know which config. would be best for target shooting. Is 1X7 better than 1X9. I don't like the 24" bbls so I want to stick with the 20". Also would chrome bore be better. Also like heavy barrel but not the big bulls. Have seen some Colts with 1X7 but I don't think they were chrome bores. HELP
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#1]
1X9 will shoot everything up to and including 75-grain bullets, and will last longer than a 1X7.   Most dedicated match shooters seem to prefer a non-chromed 1X8 twist barrel, 'cause the 1X8 twist stabilizes bullets heavier than 75 grains.  Chrome lined barrels will last longer, non-chromed barrels will be more accurate, all other things being equal.  If you're just gonna plink, get a 1X9 chromed barrel.  If you want to shoot serious competition, get a 1X8 unlined barrel.  1X7 is generally too fast- it was adopted by the military to stabilize tracers.  All Colt 1X7's I've ever seen have been chromed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
All military contract barrels, Colt, Bushmaster are chromed whether marked or not, i'd go with a chrome bore. And in MY opinion if Chromed, 1x7 and 1x9 barrels will last just the same.
H.F.A.
OUT.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I would go with the 1 in 7. You can shoot the 80 grain Sierras with it (won't fit the mag, however). I generally keep a few loaded 80 grainers in the buttstock for the emergency long shot.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
All military contract barrels, Colt, Bushmaster are chromed whether marked or not, i'd go with a chrome bore. And in MY opinion if Chromed, 1x7 and 1x9 barrels will last just the same.
H.F.A.
OUT.

The 1:9 will last a bit longer (especially if your doing full-auto), but in semi-auto shooting I wouldn't worry about the difference.

Both are fine, the 1:7 will allow you shoot some heavier bullet weights than the 1:9, but you will give up some accuracy with the 55gr.  Most shooters won't notice the loss so go with whatever is the cheapest.

I'll also say go with the chrome lined barrel for a non-match rifle.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#5]
At one time Quality Parts Corp/Bushmaster claims that chromed bores were just as accurate as non-chromed one. They claim that applying chrome lining is very exacting and that some manufacturers don't apply the chrome evenly. Bushmaster claims their chrome-lined barrels are match-grade.  Just a word of note: chrome-lined BBLs are not the same a the chrome plating of automotive bumpers of yesteryear where they can peel off.  The hard-chromed BBLs bores bores shouldn't peel because the chrome atoms are molecularly bonded to the steel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top