Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/8/2016 12:10:57 PM EDT
I own a Ruger MKIII Standard (non threaded) pistol. I am in the market for a threaded host for my locked up 22 cans.

What do you think is the best/quietest?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
22/45 lite with upgrades. Spectre II

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#2]
My 22/45 Lite has been a great host. Tandemkross and VQ upgrades, Magpul grips.

I need to snap some photos.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]

I voted for the Ruger 22/45, but I've shot the S&W Victory, and it might be a good option also, I just don't have a history with them.

I have the 22/45 Lite, and it's a great host once you change a couple of things...

Required changes...

Volquartsen extractor - factory ones are crap
Volquartsen sear - cheapest way to get a better trigger
Remove Magazine safety - simple fix to an annoying problem

Not Required, but  nice upgrades...

Adjustable Trigger - either Volquartsen or Tandem Kross
Better grips - I went with a nice set of G-10 grips, but that's your call
Fiber optic front sight - I went with Hi-Viz one one and Dawson Precision on another, both are good
LCI Delete
Tandem Kross +1 base plates, more for the ease of seating the mags in the frame, but the one extra round is nice too.

Good luck,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not a fan of the 22/45 or the standard variants. I like mine ok but taking it down for cleaning is awful and makes me not want to buy another.

Had a P22 and did not like it. Was very reliable but the accuracy was lacking.

I like the Ruger SR22 but hate the safety, (seems backwards).

Ruger SR22

Have shot a Browning Buckmark suppressed and was very impressed with the accuracy but very expensive. ( see current threaded model) The same goes for their 1911 steel 22s. Nice but expensive.
Buckmark Threaded
1911-22

All of the Walther produced 22s excluding the PPQ  are kinda weird to me. They look ok online, but once you hold one in hand it just feels weird, like it has no soul. Just hard to explain.
Colt Rail Gun
PPK 22

I have never seen/held the new Victory, S&W 22 Compact and PPQ in real life.
S&W Compact
S&W Victory
PPQ 22

Wondering if any of you have any experiences with these offerings .

As of right now I am leaning towards the M&P 22 compact.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a Pac Lite barrel if you want to keep the MKIII.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/563642211
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/563642211
View Quote

That seams to be a good deal but I would have to buy a optic for it.

And it makes me sick just thinking about taking my mKIII upper off. lol
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy them ALL!

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#9]

With that Sir you have won the internet.

I would like to buy 2 of my options (M&P 22c & Buckmark) but with the rise of HRC as the nominee I am having to divert funds into other purchases now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my SR-22 just a little more than my 22-45.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Seams like the SR22TB , S&W M&Pc22 TB and 22/45TB are all priced about the same. In that $310-$345 range.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#12]
22/45 is a given for suppressor host

The PPQ .22 is probably my favorite "tacticool" option available

And then you have the all metal PPK... So many good options

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 22/45 Lite that I love. Hate taking it apart and putting it back together though. I've shot the Walther PPQ 22 a bit and really, really like that one too.  For me it would be a toss up between those two. Both work great with and without suppressors. Both are comfortable and easy to shoot. Those are my two favorites.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got rid of a 22/45 lite and got a M&P 22 compact and I am extremely happy that I did. The 22/45 was MUCH MUCH less reliable than my first M&P 22c (which I sold to get the 22/45). The Ruger mags suck and don't drop free, the safety sucks, reliability was bad, cleaning it sucks, and it doesn't sound any more or less quiet than the 22c.

I much prefer the 22c and wish I wouldn't have listened to the internet... I sold the 22 compact because this forum swore it was a better host and I just don't see it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got a 22/45, but my Sparrow spends most of it's handgun time on this.

DSC_2692_MP22C-Sparrow-lzn by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Finally shot my M&P22 Compact + FFIII combo.  

My only 2 complaints:  
1 The trigger needs some smoothing out.  
2 You cannot remove the slide without removing the threaded adapter.

Since you already have a Ruger maybe the M&P22 Compact is a good partner.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]
You guys with the 22/45 & M&P 22c which of the 2 is more reliable?
Which is more Accurate?
And which one is quiter?

I guess I should add. I'm a Glock guy. No 1911s or M&Ps. I like the M&P and will probably have one or two one day. The public Safety discount swayed me heavily in my Glock addiction.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Finally shot my M&P22 Compact + FFIII combo.  

My only 2 complaints:  
1 The trigger needs some smoothing out.  
2 You cannot remove the slide without removing the threaded adapter.

Since you already have a Ruger maybe the M&P22 Compact is a good partner.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/rayrevolver/Public/0604162102_zps4vkk9wv2.jpg
View Quote

Going to sell the Ruger to buy the new 22.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been hearing good things about the S&W victory
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#21]

You wouldn't be my neighbor by chance would you?:) VERY nice collection! I voted for the M&P 22compact which pairs well with my Liberty Regulator.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Buy a Pac Lite barrel if you want to keep the MKIII.

http://gregpugliese.com/_old/rugermark3/1.jpg
View Quote

Seconded.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#23]

That's so badass!!! So much goodness in that photo!
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:33:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ask him to do that picture with centerfire hosts/cans. I bet it's equally impressive
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:42:35 AM EDT
[#25]
22/45

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm on his trust. Like half are really mine.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Awesome! I can't wait to fondle our MP5SD!
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that idea backfired quickly.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#30]
I considered the Victory to host my Spectre II, but went with the Ruger 22/45 Model 10150.  Prefer the heavier weight over the Lite models.  Currently have a MKIII Hunter, have had a MKII in the past, so, familiarity.  Will be putting in the hammer bushing, LCI kit from Tandem Kross and Hogue wraparound grips.  Have not fired it yet, just picked it up from local FFL Tuesday.  Ordered from Bud's.  Have a 10/22 takedown threaded and a Spikes 22 upper as hosts also.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I really like my 22/45 as a host, more so than my buckmark.  They are great shooters but the factory trigger was very sloppy... I think the VQ upgrades almost need to be factored into the price when you make the purchase.

but I find myself really wanting a ppk/s lately.

-Mike
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Get the 22/45 out of your head and get this.

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I have two threaded barrel 22LR pistols, the M&P22c and a Victory.  Also have a Ruger MKII 10" and 2nd victory but those are not threaded.

The M&P22c is a neat gun but they have barrel rifling issues. Look at the threads about it in the 22 pistol forum at Rimfirecentral.com. It took a lot of work to get mine to shoot "clusters" (not groups).
If you buy one, check it first with a good bore light and magnifying glass. I kept mine in hopes that someday S&W will make a barrel for it that doesn't have hand chiseled rifling, or maybe an aftermarket company will make a replacement barrel. Aside from the fire lapping I did to it, I also did some trigger work and added Dawson sights. Having to remove the threaded adaptor to disassemble it is a P.I.T.A. but I'm keeping it anyway. My daughter has a 9mm Shield and this gun is a perfect trainer that is very close to the shield. Because of the piss poor rifling it's not a target gun but is fine for 5-15 yd practice.

The Victories I have are awesome. Extremely accurate, reliable, excellent suppressor height sights or comes with rail to mount an optic if you desire. It's one of the easiest guns to take apart and clean. I love my Ruger MKII and would never part with it but these Victories IMHO are just as good if not better and very simple to maintain. With my Sparrow can on it, it cycles everything except CCI quiet. I would look hard at one of these vs a Ruger and that's coming from a long time Ruger MK fan. See if you can find someone that has one and will let you shoot it.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just got rid of a 22/45 lite and got a M&P 22 compact and I am extremely happy that I did. The 22/45 was MUCH MUCH less reliable than my first M&P 22c (which I sold to get the 22/45). The Ruger mags suck and don't drop free, the safety sucks, reliability was bad, cleaning it sucks, and it doesn't sound any more or less quiet than the 22c.

I much prefer the 22c and wish I wouldn't have listened to the internet... I sold the 22 compact because this forum swore it was a better host and I just don't see it.
View Quote

After reading this I am about 95% sure I am going with the M&P22c. I have been told that the Ruger 22s like the 22/45 & MKIII etc.. are quieter because of the smaller ejection poor and just their over all design. I do not know if this is true but the tear down of these designs is so dang aggravating to me I just want to go with something else.

Thanks for the votes guys. Im going with the runner up.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have two threaded barrel 22LR pistols, the M&P22c and a Victory.  Also have a Ruger MKII 10" and 2nd victory but those are not threaded.

The M&P22c is a neat gun but they have barrel rifling issues. Look at the threads about it in the 22 pistol forum at Rimfirecentral.com. It took a lot of work to get mine to shoot "clusters" (not groups).
If you buy one, check it first with a good bore light and magnifying glass. I kept mine in hopes that someday S&W will make a barrel for it that doesn't have hand chiseled rifling, or maybe an aftermarket company will make a replacement barrel. Aside from the fire lapping I did to it, I also did some trigger work and added Dawson sights. Having to remove the threaded adaptor to disassemble it is a P.I.T.A. but I'm keeping it anyway. My daughter has a 9mm Shield and this gun is a perfect trainer that is very close to the shield. Because of the piss poor rifling it's not a target gun but is fine for 5-15 yd practice.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a305/M1Riflenut/MP22c%20and%20Victory/P1180501_zpsdwvdpn5n.jpg

The Victories I have are awesome. Extremely accurate, reliable, excellent suppressor height sights or comes with rail to mount an optic if you desire. It's one of the easiest guns to take apart and clean. I love my Ruger MKII and would never part with it but these Victories IMHO are just as good if not better and very simple to maintain. With my Sparrow can on it, it cycles everything except CCI quiet. I would look hard at one of these vs a Ruger and that's coming from a long time Ruger MK fan. See if you can find someone that has one and will let you shoot it.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a305/M1Riflenut/MP22c%20and%20Victory/IMG_20160518_204532819_zpslcb6f7bv.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a305/M1Riflenut/MP22c%20and%20Victory/IMG_20160518_205907049_zpsw0ekqjpv.jpg
View Quote

Wow I didnt see this before I made my last post.(forgot about page 2) Now I am about 60% sure I want the M&P22c. The victory just became alot more interesting.

The victory that you have M1riflenut, how would you compare the suppressed action noise to the 22/45 & Mk series of pistol.
I have noticed that the victory has a built in buffer. I just wondered if that made the gun a little more quite.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Sig 938-22
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Found the rimfirecentral thread.  Funny that the third post states the same issue in the SW22 Victory...

I have only shot the M&P22C twice now at steel so I have no idea how it groups.  I didn't buy it for tack driver accuracy but expect it to be reasonably accurate.  Gonna get a bore light and examine my barrel tonight.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658833

Although I voted for M&P22C, that Ruger Talo upper I linked you can have a stationary red dot and light attached, with a nominally known good host.  Seems like the right answer for $135.  Save up and buy another semi-auto down the road.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#38]
You can't go wrong with the Smith and Wesson.  Mine has never had a malfunction and is accurate enough for plinking.  If I were to choose a host for serious accuracy (hunting squirrels, etc.) I'd go with a Ruger MarkII.  I did, however, find the Ruger to be a bit louder to my ears.  I have no idea why.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You can't go wrong with the Smith and Wesson.  Mine has never had a malfunction and is accurate enough for plinking.  If I were to choose a host for serious accuracy (hunting squirrels, etc.) I'd go with a Ruger MarkII.  I did, however, find the Ruger to be a bit louder to my ears.  I have no idea why.
View Quote

After shooting my m&p22c again it definitely seems more quiet than the 22/45. Definitely has less metallic noise
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Everyone craps all over the Colt Rail Gun but I actually love it.  It's not a competition gun but it is a hell of a lot of fun to shoot with my AAC Element II.

Everyone at the range thinks it's my .45
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#41]
The P22 , S&W22C, and similiar types are great fun; as long as you don't expect too much in the accuracy department.  Everyone should have at least one.
I would call them mostly "beer can at 25yds accurate".  (Don't mix alcohol and shooting -that's just a reference).

But, the Ruger MK/ Browning/S&W Victory designs will always have the accuracy advantage, due to their design and construction.
Cleaning any of them just has never been an issue for me.  

My Tac-Sol Ruger upper -the shortest they make, will match my S&W 41s in 50 yard accuracy (1-1/2" or less, all with selected ammo); but, that one might be exceptional.
I have one Ruger MK II that will shoot one inch 10 shot groups -at 100 yards, scoped and rested.  My other MK IIs will usually do 1", but at 25yds.

That kind of accuracy may or may not matter at all to the individual.  
Having taught many hundreds of carry permit shooters, some can never do better than most shots on a piece of typing paper at 15 yards; some can shoot one ragged hole.
Both types of shooters seem satisfied with their results.
I've also caused a number of suppressor purchases after letting them shoot mine.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I went a different way (ok, I've got a few semi-auto hosts too).

For the final word in "quiet", get a single-shot.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I went a different way (ok, I've got a few semi-auto hosts too).

For the final word in "quiet", get a single-shot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/photo_zpsee0a66d2.jpg
View Quote

Very nice.
Is that a form 1?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Very nice.
Is that a form 1?
View Quote

No, the can is a Bowers CAC-22
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Like this?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/563393751
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

<snip>

As of right now I am leaning towards the M&P 22 compact.[/span]
View Quote

Do it!

I really like mine..it's eaten everything I've thrown in it so far even mixed mags of random bullets
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:47:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Wow I didnt see this before I made my last post.(forgot about page 2) Now I am about 60% sure I want the M&P22c. The victory just became alot more interesting.

The victory that you have M1riflenut, how would you compare the suppressed action noise to the 22/45 & Mk series of pistol.
I have noticed that the victory has a built in buffer. I just wondered if that made the gun a little more quite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a305/M1Riflenut/MP22c%20and%20Victory/P1180501_zpsdwvdpn5n.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a305/M1Riflenut/MP22c%20and%20Victory/IMG_20160518_204532819_zpslcb6f7bv.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a305/M1Riflenut/MP22c%20and%20Victory/IMG_20160518_205907049_zpsw0ekqjpv.jpg

Hmmm. After reading that post I had to check my barrel. Didn't see anything of note.

I haven't shot mine on paper for groups but I've been taking it with me when I work up rifle loads. I carry it when I go to change the targets at 100 yards and stop on the way back to shoot both mags at a piece of 12" square steel. I've been shooting from the little wooden bridge we have which is 60 yards and I can hit the steel no problem
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Do they not offer a parkerized or blued model with a threaded barrel anymore?
View Quote

Yes, they do, 2 of them as a matter of fact. With sights (Model: 10150) or without (Model: 10149)
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#50]
My current favorite pistol host's are my 22/45, and a MKII I had Jim Pixley thread for me.

But I spent some time BS'ing with 22 Plinkster at the NRA AM discussing pistol hosts, and he highly suggested I look at the Volquartsen Scorpion.
That is my next purchase.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/564365598
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top