Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2002 3:45:53 AM EDT
I've got a 1979 mini14 that I'm going to sell, but haven't the foggiest on how much to ask. I purchased the gun new in 79 and it has only been used to hunt varmints with 5-6 times plus a little plinking. This gun has a wood stock and a five round mag. The wood and metal are in excellent shape with just a couple little markings on the side of the receiver wood. Any suggestions on a fair market value would be much appreciated.
thanks
oldwoodsman
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid18/p95227da02a1b9bf92f8a0da0c76ae4ce/fdcf5d32.jpg
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 4:34:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Does it have two or more "evil" features?  Most common would be a bayonet lug and flash hider, maybe a folding stock.  If it has two features, its a preban and worth more, if it has less, its just another used rifle.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 4:38:41 AM EDT
[#2]
no evils. just another rifle, but I still dont know what it's worth.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 4:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Checkout www.gunsamerica.com to get a good idea of what they are going for.

Seen 'em for anywhere from $400 to over $1K depending on features.

Hope you get a good price for it!!!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's the 181 series or higher, it will be adaptable to the aftermarket scope mounts whereas the 180 series is not.  This may add a few bucks to its value although I've never heard of an aftermarket mount that would hold zero.  

The other guys with them might be able to offer advice if they have a mount that works.

You might want to check with Ruger as to what twist the barrel has.  I want to say  that Ruger has used 2 or 3 twists over the years, but I'm not sure about that.  Don't know if would increase value or not, but would be info that might help you with a sale.

Pricing the closest model locally like at WalMart will give you an idea as to price for a new one.  Any weekly shopper classifieds papers might give you an idea on the current market.

1979 should be preban so you can hang a folding stock, flash hider, pistol grip, and bad assed bayonet with a pair of red panties hanging off it.  This should add a few bucks to the value.

Going to a show tomorrow and will try to remember to look.

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info powderburner, but I'm a little confused on this pre ban & post ban stuff. Some where in this forum I thought I read that if a rifle didn't have the bad things along with the red panties before 94 you couldn't hang them on after, even though it was built before.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Hi,

Can't tell you much other than wholesale is probably 400-425 on new.  Retail new was about 525.00.

I think the bad stuff ruling applied to receivers rather than entire rifles that were produced before the ruling.  Some of the other guys can set you straight.

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I sold one for about $400 last fall.  It was converted to folding stock before 1994.  It is however illegal to add a folding stock or other evil features to a preban rifle that was not in evil configuration after the ban.  It is ok to " restore " a preban that was originally configured with evil features to its original form.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top