Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 9:56:07 AM EDT
OK, so a local so-called "gunsmith" royally screwed up cutting the slide on my 1911 for an adjustable (Caspian) rear sight and front dovetail sight....  Is it possible to have a real gunsmith weld up the screwed up dovetail notches and start over, or is it a "replace-the-slide" fix?...  I can replace a slide, but I can't do a welding/recontour/recut job
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:09:47 AM EDT
If it were my personal gun,I might think about welding it. But never one of my customer guns. Then again,I have the tooling and have done over 2000+ dovetail cuts in 1911's. If I was the gunsmith, and I fucked it up, I would be getting you a new slide, refunding you your money for the original job and hoping you don't let everyone know I screwed your shit up. What mfg of gun is it?? If you need help, feel free to contact me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:43:42 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WCTLEGUNSMITH:
If it were my personal gun,I might think about welding it. But never one of my customer guns. Then again,I have the tooling and have done over 2000+ dovetail cuts in 1911's. If I was the gunsmith, and I fucked it up, I would be getting you a new slide, refunding you your money for the original job and hoping you don't let everyone know I screwed your shit up. What mfg of gun is it?? If you need help, feel free to contact me.
View Quote

And this is what defines a professional from an amateur hack.
Mistakes happen, it's what one does afterwards that counts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:45:07 PM EDT
Before all the custom parts availability, custom gunsmiths like Armand Swenson and other greats welded up rear sight dovetails so they could install custom sights like S&W revolver sights.

The only problem WHEN DONE BY A PRO is that after bluing there will often be some "blush" or slightly different color of the welded area.

As above, I'd be having a LONG discussion with your local about him funding a new slide.  Don't let him do any thing to it, just buy you a new one.
Then you can find a real pistolsmith.

If recovering your investment isn't going to happen, I'd buy a new slide.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:39:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NSEGE:
OK, so a local so-called "gunsmith" royally screwed up cutting the slide on my 1911 for an adjustable (Caspian) rear sight and front dovetail sight....  Is it possible to have a real gunsmith weld up the screwed up dovetail notches and start over, or is it a "replace-the-slide" fix?...  I can replace a slide, but I can't do a welding/recontour/recut job
View Quote

I have changed the dovetail front sight in my IPDA gun 3 times now.
Each time, the dovetail has been smaller. (Go figure).
The end of the slide has been welded up twice and therefore cut 3 times.
Yes, it's ugly, but it shoots just fine, thank you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:26:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By hockeysew:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is why I make sure that when I work on a customers gun, that their stuff is my focus and if something happens, they get a phone call ASAP and let them know what happened and that I took care of it. I would rather eat the cost of a slide and know the customer is happy than try to cover it up and have my reputation scored. I treat the customers gun as it was my personal gun, and my stuff is taken care of 100%. Yes the slide could be welded, and that is how you fixed stuff back in the day, but now you call up 5-6 different mfgs and have a slide in 2-4 days. Your "gunsmith" should step up, assume responsibility and get you a slide. Once he does that, then find a gunsmith that will do your work correctly. Get pictures if you can to see the gunsmith's work you are thinking of using. Ok gunsmiths are out there, good smiths are out there, but great gunsmiths are few and normally have a backlog of work. Expect to wait alittle, but expect that what you ask for WILL be correct.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:13:50 PM EDT

That is why I make sure that when I work on a customers gun, that their stuff is my focus and if something happens, they get a phone call ASAP and let them know what happened and that I took care of it. I would rather eat the cost of a slide and know the customer is happy than try to cover it up and have my reputation scored. I treat the customers gun as it was my personal gun, and my stuff is taken care of 100%. Yes the slide could be welded, and that is how you fixed stuff back in the day, but now you call up 5-6 different mfgs and have a slide in 2-4 days. Your "gunsmith" should step up, assume responsibility and get you a slide. Once he does that, then find a gunsmith that will do your work correctly. Get pictures if you can to see the gunsmith's work you are thinking of using. Ok gunsmiths are out there, good smiths are out there, but great gunsmiths are few and normally have a backlog of work. Expect to wait alittle, but expect that what you ask for WILL be correct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Your a good man WC.
I ate a barrel not too long ago, 14.5" barrel a first time customer sent me to assemble an upper and pin and weld the muzzle device.
I made a mis calculculation on drilling for the pin. Nicked the bore.
$#¥$%±¡¿!
Called the customer and told him what happened and what my planned course of action was. He was a little bummed out but understood and a week later had his upper back with a brand new barrel, assembled, pinned and welded.
I was out $250.00 for a replacement barrel but it turned out to be good money spent.
I ended up trimming the nicked barrel back and re threading it, the same gentleman sent all the components and a longer flash hider for another upper.
Built that one and sent it back to him.
I have now done 4 others for him plus 6 others for his buddies with the same agency. He is now in the process of getting me hooked up with his agency to do a bunch of work their Armorer can't/won't do.

Be honest and if you make a mistake, make it right.
It has a way of working out in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:45:51 AM EDT
Yes it does work itself out if you come clean on the front end. Slides are not cheap but a gunsmith reputation is worth 1000x more. I have screwed up stuff before, and even replaced with my own personal stuff that was 10x the quality. It is what it is. Make it right and you have a customer for life.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:54:19 AM EDT
Anyway, yes, there's no technical reason you couldn't have the thing TIG repaired if it comes to that.  For a sight cut, I would anticipate the welding up being less expensive than a new $300+ slide.
Top Top